Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robarivas
Post Patron
Post Patron

Powery Query #date function

Talking about M (Power Query) language here. How can I parameterize or otherwise make dynamic the 3 arguments in the #date function?

#date(2017, 6, 16)

I have a 1 row, 1 column table with a single date value (which will change dynamically upon refresh) and I want to add rows (future dates) to that table. The #date function seems to want to accept only hard-coded numbers. I've gotta believe that either isn't true or there is another way.

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You don't need hard coded values: this function works perfectly fine;

Date parameters.png

Edit: If you are looking for alternatives then please specify exactly what should happen.

E.g. you can create a series of numbers and then change the type to date.

Or you can use List.Dates.

E,g, this fuction creates a table with1 column with 10 dates:

(Year as number, Month as number, Day as number) => Table.FromColumns({List.Dates(#date(Year,Month,Day),10,#duration(1,0,0,0))}, type table[Date as date])
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

You don't need #date if you have a date in a single row, single column table. Just load it up and change to format to type date if needed

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

You don't need hard coded values: this function works perfectly fine;

Date parameters.png

Edit: If you are looking for alternatives then please specify exactly what should happen.

E.g. you can create a series of numbers and then change the type to date.

Or you can use List.Dates.

E,g, this fuction creates a table with1 column with 10 dates:

(Year as number, Month as number, Day as number) => Table.FromColumns({List.Dates(#date(Year,Month,Day),10,#duration(1,0,0,0))}, type table[Date as date])
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Thanks @MarcelBeug. I was able to adopt a concept from your reply to make my effort work. I replicated my single cell query 3 times so that I could convert each component (year, month, and day) into lists. So I ended up with 3 list queries. I was then able to create parameters (query option) on each of those. I was then able to create a new query that used those parameters to generate a list of dates. Not sure if my solution is the best way to go about this but at least its dynamic and automated and gets me what I want.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.