Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Power Query | Transformations via Folder Connector (manual)

Hi,

I was trying to understand how does this work:

Undestanding_Queries.PNG

So, I created the

1. Sample File first

2. then the Sample File Parameter1

3. Transform Sample File from Query1

4. the function Transform File from Query1

Everything seems to llok fine except that the function Transform File from Query1 is not receiving the transformation that I do from Sample File Query1.

I do have a purpose why I'm trying to learn this but that would be a different story. Can anyone help me with the above please?

Note:

#3 and #4 has the same exact codes except ofcourse for #4 where you have the parameter above and the step it will retun to like:

Code in #3 

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(#"Sample File Parameter1", null, true),
    Count_Sheet = Source{[Item="Counts",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Count_Sheet, each ([Column1] <> null))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Code in #4  

let
    Source = (#"Sample File Parameter1") => let
        Source = Excel.Workbook(#"Sample File Parameter1", null, true),
        Count_Sheet = Source{[Item="Counts",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
        #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Count_Sheet, each ([Column1] <> null))
    in
        #"Filtered Rows"
in
    Source

but if I add more steps to #3, it does not reflect in #4. And even if I manually copy all the step applied in #3 to #4 it does not reflect to the main query.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ovetteabejuela,

to me it looks as if there is one element too much in your function-group.

Please follow the steps that are outlined here: http://radacad.com/custom-functions-made-easy-in-power-bi-desktop

to see if this method resolves your problem.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @ImkeF,

Can you please shed some light with my problem? Is this doable? Can I recreate how the connector behaves?

My version doesn't even have the Edit Function warning when I try to open it in the Advanced Editor.

EditFounction_Warning.PNG

Hi,

Whoeever is following this, just an update:

I was able to resolve this statement:

"...but if I add more steps to #3, it does not reflect in #4. And even if I manually copy all the step applied in #3 to #4 it does not reflect to the main query."

I did something wront with the Table.ExpandTableColumn line.... 

instead of using this:

#"Expand Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Transform File from Query1", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File from Query1"(#"Sample File")))

I used something else, like

#"Expand Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source,"Data",{"Column1","Column2","Column3","AndSoOn"})

So only one problem now.... how to sync #3 to #4 everytime I modify #3.

Hi @ovetteabejuela,

to me it looks as if there is one element too much in your function-group.

Please follow the steps that are outlined here: http://radacad.com/custom-functions-made-easy-in-power-bi-desktop

to see if this method resolves your problem.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi @ImkeF,

Thank you so much for that reference, very helpful and I know now what I missed!

I actually didn't know about this, I was creating the structure manually that was probably why both Sample and the actual Function are not linked/synced.

Create Function.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.