Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Power Query | Remove last word

Hi Guys & M-Gurus,

How would you remove the last word in a text, actually in my case I'm trying to remove middle names which are placed at the end portion of the name:

<First Name>, <Last Name> <Middle Name>

How do you remove the <Middle Name>.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ovetteabejuela

Hi, try with AddColumn-Extract :

Delimiter =  (Space)

Regards

Victor

img1.png

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
janepettigrew

Thank you for this solution, however I am hoping to find out how to do this when there are multiple words, and several space delimiters in a field. I need to remove the last word only.

Using the Contoso sales data as an example, all the products have the colour at the end of the Product Name field. I am looking to remove the colour and leave the product name only in the column, but the product names consist of several words. There are numerous spaces in each name, but the colour is only ever the last word of the field.  I am new to DAX and Power BI, but not new to Excel and text functions. 

Thanks in advance.

janepettigrew

Thank you for this solution, however I am hoping to find out how to do this when there are multiple words, and several space delimiters in a field. I need to remove the last word only.

Using the Contoso sales data as an example, all the products have the colour at the end of the Product Name field. I am looking to remove the colour and leave the product name only in the column, but the product names consist of several words. There are numerous spaces in each name, but the colour is only ever the last word of the field.  I am new to DAX and Power BI, but not new to Excel and text functions. 

Thanks in advance.

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ovetteabejuela

Hi, try with AddColumn-Extract :

Delimiter =  (Space)

Regards

Victor

img1.png

Lima - Peru

Thanks @Vvelarde, +1 to my learning and I won't forget that, it's already etched in my mind coz I need to.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors