Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Power Query | Batch Replace String

Hi,

How do I replace this:

Foreign Language 1Foreign Language 2Foreign Language 3Foreign Language 4Foreign Language 5Foreign Language 6

into this in a single pass:

In English 1In English 2In English 3In English 4In English 5In English 6

I can work with a table with an equivalent word in English for each foreign word but I'm just not sure how to do that in M.

[Edit]

Hi @MarcelBeug,

Sorry to drag you into this but I think this is a piece of cake for you. 😃

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In that case you can use this code:

= Table.TransformColumnNames(Table1, each try Translations{[Foreign = _]}[English] otherwise _)

It searches each column name in the Translations table and - if found - replaces it with English; if not found then leave it as is.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Okay.

Found @ImkeF's post, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ovetteabejuela..

If the diferent texts are in a row first you have to select all these columns and unpivot using Unpivot Columns from Transform tab. In In this way you have only a column with the diferent texts.

Then, You just select the column and to use "1-->2 Replace Values" from Transform tab.

Captura.JPG

Tell us if this help you.

Miltinho,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ovetteabejuela.

I think you are complicating some easy to do with just using a merge query.Captura2.JPG

Bye.

Miltinho

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you for your input.

Yes I was aware of the Replace Value method, however I was looking for something that works in a batch. So that if there are 10 words to replace I don't have to do 10 lines of Replace Values function.

ok still!

just about to apply the solution but I'm already at a halt because of this:

Mine:

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(#"Sample File Parameter1", null, true),

ImkeF's(in the comment section of the post)

let
Source = ReplacementsTable,

ImKef started on the ReplacementsTable while I'm starting at my Raw data... hmmmm.... thinking... but could really use some help...

A different approach.

Assuming:

1. You want to replace values in an entire table, and
  2. You want to replace complete values (not substrings, but entire cell contents).

Then you can use List.Accumulate to loop (or iterate) over the list of translations:

List.Accumulate(Table.ToRows(Translations),Table1,(t,r) => Table.ReplaceValue(t,r{0},r{1},Replacer.ReplaceValue,Table.ColumnNames(t)))

Explanation:

• Translations is a table with translations (foreign - English), which is converted to a list of lists with replacements using Table.ToRows
  • Table1 is your table. For List.Accumulate this table is the start value.
  • The third argument for List.Accumulate is a function using a "state" and "current" parameter (i.c. t and r)
    t is the table before each iteration and r is the foreign - English pair of the current iteration.
  • List.Accumulate will loop over the translation list and for each entry (or iteration), it will update your table (t) by replacing the old value (r{0}) ny the new value (r{1}), using function Replacer.ReplaceValue, and for all table columns (Table.ColumnNames(t)).

Interesting inputs, first off apologies for not doing a great job in presenting my case - I forgot to highlight that in this particular data I only need to translate the Foreign Language found in the headers (though there are some entries in the data itself, but I don't need to translate them)

@Anonymous, that is a neat approach I actually did that as well:

1. I demoted the header into the first row,

2. I merged the raw data and the translation table

3. Yes, indeed I got the translations but now the problem is -- how do I gt that over the first row so that if I transpose back I can promote the english version to the headers.

@ImkeF,

Your's is very interesting, I will perform that as well and see what I can learn from it. Though at my level I can't read the code the same way as reading a sentence, I can see there there is an add column function which make me think that it might not work because again I failed to indicate that I am working on the headers and that was my bad.

@MarcelBeug,

I think this one could work for me, but what do I do if I specify a column only, say Column1 since my first steps was to expose the headers and transpose it ready to be replaced/translated.

Thank you'all for the input, very much appreciated.

Basically, this is how the raw data looks like:

Foreign Language Header 1Foreign Language Header 2Foreign Language Header 3Foreign Language Header 4Foreign Language Header 5Foreign Language Header 6
DataDataDataDataDataData
DataDataDataDataDataData
DataDataDataDataDataData
DataDataDataDataDataData
DataDataDataDataDataData
DataDataDataDataDataData
DataDataDataDataDataData
DataDataDataDataDataData
DataDataDataDataDataData

In that case you can use this code:

= Table.TransformColumnNames(Table1, each try Translations{[Foreign = _]}[English] otherwise _)

It searches each column name in the Translations table and - if found - replaces it with English; if not found then leave it as is.

As usual from you @MarcelBeug an excellent knowledge share, Another gem in my M treasure chest..

Thank you!!!

Having difficulties to follow, but maybe this does help?:

let
    TranslationTable = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcssvSs1Mz1PwScxLL01MT1UwVNJR8sxTcM1Lz8kszgByY3WwqDJCVWWEXZUxqipj7KpMUFWZYFdliqrKFLsqM1RVZkqxsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Foreign Language" = _t, #"In English" = _t]),
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcssvSs1Mz1PwScxLL01MT1UwVNLBFDTCJmiMTdAEm6ApNkEzpVidAbY/FgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t, Column4 = _t, Column5 = _t, Column6 = _t]),

fnTranslate = (Record) =>
 let
    ToTable = Record.ToTable(Record),
    #"Merged Queries1" = Table.NestedJoin(ToTable,{"Value"},TranslationTable,{"Foreign Language"},"Ex",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Ex" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries1", "Ex", {"In English"}, {"In English"})[In English]
in
    #"Expanded Ex",

Apply = Table.AddColumn(Source, "a", each fnTranslate(_)),
    Magic = Table.FromRows(Apply[a], Table.ColumnNames(Source))
in
Magic

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.