Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KurtHoward

Power BI online unable to connect to SQ after updates

Hello, we are running Power BI online connecting to the desktop version on our SQL server.  Solution has been running great for months but died yesterday after 4 updates were made:

KB4014551

KB4014510

KB4019215

ASP.NET MCV2 update

As soon as those updates were done, we get the following messate:

Logging into Sql server failed. Possible reasons for this error include an invalid authentication mode, a missing login in Sql server, a login from an untrusted domain or a problem contacting the domain controller for the authentication request.

We have uninstalled the  KB updates but not sure on uninstalling the new .net tool.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @KurtHoward

What I would suggest is that once you have completed the uninstalling of the updates, if you first can connect locally to your SQL Server using the same login credentials that you use for the Power BI Service.

This is to ensure that you can actually log into SQL Server.

If that does work then I would check the Gateway and test the connection to make sure that it is authenticating and working as expected.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.