Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SwingJudge
Regular Visitor

Power BI is open in background

Hi,

yesterday i install Power BI Desktop, and it is fully fonctionnal, but today the program open only in background and i can't use it.

I uninstall and install, and it's the same problem, can someone help me please?

10 REPLIES 10
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @SwingJudge,

What do you mean that “Power BI Desktop is opened in background”? Do you get any error messages? Could you please post a screenshot  of your scenario?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

my problem is that i don't have the window for work in, but the program is in the Task Manager in Background Process, see the screenshot.

Capture.JPG

Hi @SwingJudge,

Are you able to end the task in task manager and re-open Power BI Desktop as other's post? Which verison of Windows Server do you install Power BI Desktop on?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I don't install Power BI on a server, but on my workstation , and i'm in Windows 8.1 Professionnal.

I can close the process, band i try to open it in administrator mode, and it's the same thing.

I don't try to install it on other workstation, but i think that he will work fine and that the problem is on my PC, but i don't saw why, it's very strange, all my others programs are OK

Hi @SwingJudge,

Do you perform any Windows update recently or do you run any anti-virus program? And did you install old version of Power BI gateway as described in this article?

Please also check if there are any error messages in Event Viewer, if not, please run Process Monitor to capture Power BI Desktop launch trace.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

I have check updates of windows and the last update was do the 04/14/2017, so it's before i install the program.

I desactivate the antivirus (Avast Pro) and it's the same problem.

I don't have anything in Event Viewer

I launch Process Monitor, how can I send you the file?

Hi @SwingJudge,

You can upload the file  to OneDrive and post shared link of the file here.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi Lydia,

here the link to the file in Google Drive :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5xTgdZCPvbxWVFYbnNFVUFzRkE/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

I don't install Power BI on a server, but on my workstation , and i'm in Windows 8.1 Professionnal.

I can close the process, band i try to open it in administrator mode, and it's the same thing.

I don't try to install it on other workstation, but i think that he will work fine and that the problem is on my PC, but i don't saw why, it's very strange, all my others programs are OK

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

I am assuming you rebooted?  Do you end the task in your task manager and reopen it?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.