Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alextrs
Advocate I
Advocate I

Power BI desktop pbix files backward compatibility

Some users in our company have switched to the latest version of power BI desktop (May 2017). They used to share reports with other users who have not upgraded yet to the latest version and remain on April 2017 power bi desktop version. 

Since the upgrade, the users with previous versions of power bi desktop are unable to open the .pbix files built under the May 2017 version.

Power BI desktop doesn't seem to have backward compatibility with previous versions. 

Is anyone experiencing the same issue? 

This is a blocking issue as we have been deploying Power BI tools widely in our organization and now have more than 200 users with licenses, and we are unable for the moment to align everyone on the latest version. In the meantime, users need to publish and share reports. 

Is there any fix other than reverting our users to the previous version of power BI? 

Thank you,

8 REPLIES 8
lukomskicl
Frequent Visitor

We have the same problem here.  Does anyone know of a solution?

One of the solutions for this in the future would be an updater that wouldn't need admin privileges.  Many organisations, including my own, don't let normal users run anything that needs admin privileges. That would circumvent the troubles of packaging the program for distribution again every month.

I'm just guessing, but this might only be an issue with april to may update, since that brought the SSAS measure thing which might be too big of an improvement compared to the last release.

Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@ShaWo: Could you please provide more details on your below the point.

"One of the solutions for this in the future would be an updater that wouldn't need admin privileges". 

How can we solve the issue with above approach? Please provide more details. 

Thanks in Advance.

@Sunkari: That was directed more towards Microsoft's development team. There could be a way to allow powerbi installers install the new version without admin privileges, but I don't know how that would be achieved. Microsoft could make an installer that wouldn't need admin privileges like some other programs are doing (for ex. Spotify). 

Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@ShaWo: Thanks for details. I feel release a patch for each upgrade is a better option. The existing functionality should work with out any issues.

slemps
Regular Visitor

Same problem here.

This is a real problem and means that I can only upgrade my version as fast as my slowest client...

Is there going to be a fix for this? I know you want everyone to keep up to date but in large organisations, monthly re-packaging is hardly an option.

S.

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Alextrs

I encountered same issue as yours. The .pbix created in May update can't be opened in previous version. However, there's no way to roll back to previous version file. I suggest you update your Power BI Desktop into latest version.

Regards,

Hi Simon,

In the previous versions, it seems that we could have some heterogeneity and share pbix. Do you think that the situation is very linked specifically to April and May versions or supposed to be reproduced in the future ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.