Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rudiklein
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power BI and Windows 10 crashes (DPC Watchdog violations)

Hi,

Since I have started using Power BI, I experience regular Windows crashes. Most of the BSOD crashes report DPC Watchdog violations.

I didn't think for a second that there could be a relation to the use of Power BI Desktop, since these types of crashes are normally caused by hardware or driver errors. On my desktop I have upgraded all drivers for sound, video and network, but the crashes remain. In 99% of the cases the system crashes when I am using Power BI.

Now I am also using Power BI Deskop on my laptop and to my surprise I see the same crashes when using Power BI Desktop and ONLY when I'm using Power BI Desktop. Same reason: DPC Watchdog violations.

Coincidence? Maybe, since both systems run Windows 10 and Windows could be the culprit here. However, there seems to be a connection to Power BI, since the laptop only crashes when using PBI Desktop.

What I noticed on my desktop is that just before the crash, there is a degredation in sound quality and the mouse pointer moves slowly and choppy.

As said, the relation with Power BI Desktop is far fetched, but I'm curiuous if anyone else is experiencing similar problems.

Thanks,

Rudi 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rudiklein,

Sorry for slow response, I test on newest version of power bi on my side, they all works well.(win10 pc and surface).

Based on your description, I think the issue not related to power bi, it may related to your hard ware driver, I'd like to suggest you submit a support ticket for this issue at window10 forum.

In addition, you can refer to below link which about the "DPC Watchdog violations" issue:

Bluescreen Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
omikeyz
Frequent Visitor

This has happened 3 days on the trott and the file then becomes corrupted.  My IT department have just installed the December '23 64bit version of PowerBI desktop. Hopefully this will fix the issue. 

windowshelper

Uninstall or stop the Power BI on-premises data gateway Windows service. If you no longer need the Power BI on-premises data gateway, you can uninstall it, or you can stop the Power BI on-premises data gateway Windows service and service host, which removes the policy restriction, and allows Power BI 

techinpost

I found a webpage from which i get rid out of this type of error issue, now you can also check this once for getting rid of it completely from here: Error

Hi there. Most probably you are stressing your pc when you get the dpc watchdog violation error ( https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-dpc-watchdog-violation-bsod-error-on-windows-10/ ). If you have tried everything out and still not successful then do a clean reinstall of your drivers. However, just be affirmative that you have already the downloaded the DDU from external drive. Cheers!

techinpost

I found a webpage from which i get rid out of this type of error issue, now you can also
check this once for getting rid of it completely from here: Error

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rudiklein,

Sorry for slow response, I test on newest version of power bi on my side, they all works well.(win10 pc and surface).

Based on your description, I think the issue not related to power bi, it may related to your hard ware driver, I'd like to suggest you submit a support ticket for this issue at window10 forum.

In addition, you can refer to below link which about the "DPC Watchdog violations" issue:

Bluescreen Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

No worries about the response time.

I know the problem is related to a driver, in this case it's seems to be network related. It just draw my attention to Power BI, because it seems to be the process running during the crash. I guess PBI just uses the network intensively and therefore has a bigger chance to be in the picture when a network driver causes a Bluescreen Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

I thought to give it a try to see if other PBI users had similar issues. I guess not.

Thanks for you reply.

Bye,

Rudi

Hi @rudiklein 
i have the same issue. Only when using Power BI and doing a refresh

I am using an HP. I went through the warranty process with HP and raised a support call etc. 
The end result was they said i need to reinstall the OS and try again (i havent done that yet)

So no luck for me yet either, but im pretty confident its Power BI as well as for about 3 months i didnt use power bi and didnt get the issue while i wasnt using it

When im working with power bi it can be 4 or 5 times a day on bigger models. So i usually use a VM at the moment for those ones

Would love to know if you get anywhere with it also

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.