Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

powerbi_seek
Frequent Visitor

Power BI - Variation of value by month

Hello guys,

I need your help please.

I have a Datetime table (full calendar), and another table related to it, with appointment data.

I need to show the variatiion of number of appoitments by Month, in a WaterFall chart.

Actually, I have a filter on a customer, who had only 2 records on October in whole 2017.

So normally, the variation in October should be +2, and in November -2, December 0.

Unfortunatly, it's not what I have, I got only +2 in october, and that's it.

So this is the formulas of my measure:

DIFF_RDV_byMONTH:=-(calculate(sum(Interaction[NbRDVbyRow]); PARALLELPERIOD(DateDim[Date];-1;MONTH))+calculate(sum(Interaction[NbRDVbyRow])))

Thanks for your help.

regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
spuder
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @powerbi_seek

I tried to rebuilt your issue and for me it seems to work. 

2 things. Change both operators and (just for optic) use PREVIOUSMONTH() instead

=CALCULATE(SUM(factAppointments[Appointments]))-CALCULATE(SUM(factAppointments[Appointments]);PREVIOUSMONTH(Kalender[Date]))

But I also tried it with Parallelperiod() and it worked as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
spuder
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @powerbi_seek

I tried to rebuilt your issue and for me it seems to work. 

2 things. Change both operators and (just for optic) use PREVIOUSMONTH() instead

=CALCULATE(SUM(factAppointments[Appointments]))-CALCULATE(SUM(factAppointments[Appointments]);PREVIOUSMONTH(Kalender[Date]))

But I also tried it with Parallelperiod() and it worked as well.

Can you please show a visual ?

@powerbi_seek 

looks like this

visual.png

I got it, my issue is related to January. I made an IF statement to do that only if the month is not January. And that seems not working

I think this should work as well. The whole calculation should be surounded by a CALCULATE() that has a filter condition "not January"

CALCULATE([Total Appointments]-CALCULATE([Total Appointments];PREVIOUSMONTH(DateTable[Date]));DateTable[Date].[Monat]<>"Januar")

Hi, that's it what I did, but didn't work, till I also filtered on Non Blank date field. Thanks anyway, it's working .

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.