Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tylerbauer
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Embedded Supported Data Sources with Row-Level Security

1. From my understanding, Power BI Desktop can be connected to SQL Server and configured with row level security. From there, Power BI Embedded has row level security. Is this correct?

2. Does Power BI Embedded with row level security function with SQL Server Web Edition or just SQL Server Standard Edition? 

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tylerbauer,

From my understanding, Power BI Desktop can be connected to SQL Server and configured with row level security. From there, Power BI Embedded has row level security. Is this correct?

Yes. Power BI Embedded now supports datasets configured with RLS. You can refer to below links for detailed description:

Row level security with Power BI Embedded

Row-level security (RLS) with embedded analytics

Does Power BI Embedded with row level security function with SQL Server Web Edition or just SQL Server Standard Edition?

As we can connect to any SQL Server version/edition as data source from Power BI desktop and define RLS on Power BI side, both SQL Server Web Edition and SQL Server Standard Edition supports RLS.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana, thanks for your response. I saw your Microsoft profile and I wanted to confirm that you are a member of the Microsoft Contingent staff (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/yuliana%20gu). 

Regarding your responses, I looked in those documentation pages and I was unable to identify a specific part that explicitly stated which data sources are supported for Power BI Embedded with row level security. Do you know where such a statement might be found?

Hi @tylerbauer,

Power BI applies row level security configuration on the Power BI model itself. So regardless of what source you are importing your data from, you can apply row level security on it. That is to say, Power BI Embedded with row level security supports data sources that are supported by Power BI desktop. But one limation is that You cannot define roles within Power BI Desktop for Analysis Services live connections, as described in this article.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.