Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mblydt-hansen
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Desktop with Password Encrypted Excel File

Hi everyone,

I recognize that Power BI Desktop does not currently allow password-protected excel files to be imported as datasets. As I am working with confidential info, I need the excel file to remain protected/encrypted in some way. I've tried out using 3rd party services like AxCrypt to protect my excel file instead, but I run into the same issue. Does anyone have suggestions or work-arounds that would let me password-protect my excel file but also allow Power BI Desktop to use it as a dataset?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mblydt-hansen,

It seems that Power Bi desktop doesn't support to fetch data from password protected Excel file. Here is an idea you could click to vote it up.

As a workaround, you could remove passsword and instead, move the files to a secure folder that limited people have access to. Reference: power query accessing password protected workbook

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mblydt-hansen,

It seems that Power Bi desktop doesn't support to fetch data from password protected Excel file. Here is an idea you could click to vote it up.

As a workaround, you could remove passsword and instead, move the files to a secure folder that limited people have access to. Reference: power query accessing password protected workbook

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. Right now I am using a password protected excel file from sharepoint as a data for the report. In the file there are some hidden and confidential information which is protected with password. But when I put it into Power BI as a data source, all hidden and protected information could be visibly seen. I found it strange that Power BI doesn't require to enter any password to unprotect the hidden data. 

Is there any solution to make Power BI to request a password to use the protected data?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.