Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TJacobs
Frequent Visitor

Performance issues PowerBi embedded

Hi, 

I'm having some performance issues with PowerBi embedded, this is the case:

I have added 5 reports to our own internal portal, the reports in this portal are added with PowerBi embedded. So I have a PowerBi workspace in Azure where I store my reports and my data. 

Before the data gets in Azure it is collected with a stored procedure to an local database. After the stored procedure is done the table is being pushed to Azure. 

The data and records that are used in the reports:

- Report A has 3.478.040 records and data (kb) = 5.564.880

- Report B has 342.612 records and data (kb) = 438.720

- Report C has 46.806 records and data (kb) = 62.424

- Report D has 861 records and data (kb) = 1.168

- Report F has 2.800.778 records and data (kb) = 3.731.552

The Azure database is using 110 gb of the 250 gb that is available and I'm using 800 DTU. 

When I look at the DTU usage diagnostics in Azure the highest peak (over a week taken) is about 40%. 

When I look at the CPU consumption in Azure the highest peak is about 30%. 

Performance recommendations on Azure is turned on. 

So it's not that the DTU, CPU or storage is running on it's max... Does somebody have a clue on this matter? 

4 REPLIES 4
TJacobs
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

I've embedded several PowerBi reports over the last months. Those reports are embedded and stored in a PowerBi workspace collection in Azure. Over the last months the number of users of those reports increased. In the beginning there were only 15 people using those reports, but now it's about 60 (and still growing). The problem that I have right now is that sometimes the reports are really fast and that the report is build in 1 maybe 2 seconds. But I also have situation where it takes up to 20 maybe 30 seconds before an report is build. 

Does PowerBi embedded run queries one after another? Sometimes I get the idea that I have to wait with clicking again till an selection is executed completely, that's even when just one person is checking the reports - not even talking about all 60 employees. Is there an option to improve this? Does PowerBi embedded only handle queries one after another or can he run multiple (is it an setting)? Does moving to another subscription maybe help? So moving from Azure SQL server Standard to Premium?

Could somebody help me with this? 

Hi @TJacobs

Just a few questions.

• Which SKU of Power BI Embedded are you using?
  • Are all the users using the reports at the same time?
  • Are any of the reports using Row Level Security?
  • When you are referring to Azure SQL Server standard, do you mean Azure SQL Database, or using the Power BI Embedded SKU within Azure?

From what it sounds like to me, is due to the changes in terms of the capacity requirements for Power BI Embedded as your users have grown, you are hitting the capacity limit for your current Power BI Embedded SKU.

My blog post here has more details around the different options: https://www.fourmoo.com/tag/power-bi-embedded/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

HI @GilbertQ

1: I'm using Power BI Workspace Collection in Azure for the embedment of the reports... is this scaleable? 

2: Could be, the reports are embedded in an portal with Azure PowerBi embedded. So users could use the reports at the same time. 

3: Not yet, the current users can see the whole report - but there are some requests to work with Row Level Security, so I'm preparing that. 

4: Yes, that's what I meant. I was using Azure SQL Database - pricing tier S7 Standard 800 DTU, but I've never hit the 800 DTU and still had the problems with my slow reports. Last week's thursday I've tried P2 (premium 250 DTU), I did hit the maximum of DTU's and it wasn't faster then the S7.

TJacobs
Frequent Visitor

Forgot something very important to say in my previous post, about 70 people are using those reports (!) and I use about 10 slicers in every PowerBi report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.