Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rfway
Helper I
Helper I

Perform Data Stories similiar to Tableau Stories

Can powerbi desktop replicate data stories similar to Tableau?  

5 REPLIES 5
djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@rfway

I think you are referring to Tableau's Story Point feature. You can link text to a value. IE, if you scroll over a certain date, text might appear telling you that it rained that day.

This is essentially just an extra column with text in it that can already be done in any BI product. 

However, what Tableau does that its competitors don't do is that you can make the text appear on a chart rather than in a text box. This is definitely a cool feature that would be great if it were implemented into PowerBI. Perhaps someone might create it as a custom visual ?

This is an example of a Story Point : Click Here

March 2018 UPDATE: Power BI now offers this feature via its Tooltips function

Anonymous
Not applicable

@djnww 

I have a question, I've seen that Story Points in Tableau it is a feature that more than only link text to a value, it let you make a narrative of your graphs in just one page.

Like telling a story of how you make the analysis, what variables you look into and what is the final output of this analysis. I would said explaining your thinking process step by step.

I do not know if there is any way to replicate this currently with Power BI

I leave here the link to Tableau Story Points:

https://www.tableau.com/learn/tutorials/on-demand/Story-Points-8.2?product=tableau_desktop&version=8...

If you add the idea to the ideas section, let us know here so we can vote for it.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@rfway I don't know the exact layout of how Tableau does this, but with the new publish to the web feature you can put a story together. And combine that with Sway and it gets really cool. Here is a blog by @JenUnderwood that explains it in detail.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

I'm sure Power BI can.  It will just depend how much effort you need to put into the data model.

Can you describe the feature here and you will no doubt get some ideas how to go about it.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.