Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LinkeLoutje
Regular Visitor

Percentage data wrongly imported from excel

Hi,

As per title. When I add my file to PowerBI my percentages seem to become a factor 10 higher. Somehow the punctiation is wrongly interpreted.

Example:

The percentages are delivered as text: -15.0%

According to PowerBI the value is -1,5 and thus -150%

This doesn't make any sense to me... How can I make PowerBI interpret the -15.0% correctly?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vanessafvg Thanks for your reply!

I've found a solution. There are 2 different methods of changing the datatype. From the ribbon you are only able to select the percentage value. Which results in the problem above. Surprisingly the right click on the column > change datatype gives the option to use a locale. Here I have chosen the percentage based on the US locale, which uses the ".". Now PowerBI properly recognises the percentage.

According to me the locale option should be added to the ribbon as well...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@LinkeLoutje thats because % should be expressed as 0.15 not 15,0.  % is a total from 100 or 1.0, everything below that should be 0.99 etc

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks Vanessa. I do understand that a different expression would be better. However... The data is delivered as such and I will not be able to change that. Furthermore I'm mostly curious why PowerBI correctly assumes it is indeed % data and does seem to incorporate a comma, but somehow randomly chooses the position. 

@LinkeLoutje maybe the problem is the comma?  maybe this is affected by your regional settings im not sure

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

@vanessafvg Thanks for your reply!

I've found a solution. There are 2 different methods of changing the datatype. From the ribbon you are only able to select the percentage value. Which results in the problem above. Surprisingly the right click on the column > change datatype gives the option to use a locale. Here I have chosen the percentage based on the US locale, which uses the ".". Now PowerBI properly recognises the percentage.

According to me the locale option should be added to the ribbon as well...

This didnt work for me. I dont see an option to change data type in right click options anymore.

greatstuff!

Sure is... Another option would be to select the locale of a source (which could very well be different from the locale I'd like to use) but that's not possible? Or am I mistaken?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.