Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wallace13
Advocate II
Advocate II

Passwords to Datasources not updating even after clearing permissions

When credentials expire and need to change I have this problem where I cannot update credentials.

I think it has something to do with Power BI caching old credentials, but they are still causing the problem even after I clear permissions.

image.png

When I go into to edit credentials it will NOT UPDATE them and continues to revert to the old passwords.  So I go into data source setting, clear permission for the source and then put in the new ID & password, however, when I come back I can see it is the old password still!!!

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Remember, I just cleared the credentials and it said it was not specified and cleared out, but somehow it is defaulting back to the old shorter password!

3 REPLIES 3
lg_analyst
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @wallace13 , @v-juanli-msft 

I'm having the same issue on my manager's PC. Only difference I have is using an ODBC to connect to a PostgreSQL database, other than that I get the exact same behaviour. Did the cache thing solve the problem for you?

Thanks,

Enrico

Deleting the credentials did clear the issue, however that was not a sustainable solution for our many dashboards.

In the end our company changed it so our credentials only expired once per 6 months.  After we made this switch I haven't had this issue reoccur, I don't know why.

Previously it was occuring on half of the dashboards and required intervention with our monthly credential changes, but it did not happen any more once we switched to the 6 month cadence.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wallace13 

Please check this article to see if you have done the right steps to remove existing data source connection from Power BI.

Additionally, you can clear cache by going to Files->Options and settings->Options->Data Load.

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors