Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Page level slicer filter without calculated columns

Hi all.

I'm trying very hard to not use calculated columns whenever possible, but don't know the limits to what I can do with measures.

Here's what I want to do: Create a visual level filter that removes all $0 items. So with a calculated column I would write a formula: =if(column1=0,0,1). Then I would use that column as a slicer and it would properly filter everything that is $0 on the page.

Is there a way to do this? Any advice I could get for learning purposes would help. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can only use measure as a visaul filter not s page level filter because the measures make a line by line analisys so it will always return the smallest result. Only columns can be used in page level filters.

Regards,
Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

The measures are calculated in the context of the visual you use so if you show item at a row level measure will be calculated accordingly, if you do it at a group level it will be calculated at that level without looking at other values, so taking this into account you cannot use them so if in your visual the column for wich you are making the measure is not entered the filter will not show any values.

If you don't want to do this you need to use the filter function on your measures and then apply the Validation = 1 to return only the true values.

Regards,

Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @MFelix, thank you for responding. I'm still unclear if I can use a Measure to do a page-level filter, so that it affects all other visuals on the page. Is that possible or do I need to use a calculated column?

You can only use measure as a visaul filter not s page level filter because the measures make a line by line analisys so it will always return the smallest result. Only columns can be used in page level filters.

Regards,
Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it. thank you very much for expalining this to me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.