Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

misterian
Regular Visitor

PREVIOUSQUARTER returns nothing

Hello, this really has me stumped as everything else works OK! I can count and average if I put in manually the dates and the current quarter time intellignce works but not the previous quarter ones.

These are measures referenced below

Alarms Total = COUNTROWS(system)
Response Avg = AVERAGE(system[ResponseTime])

Count for Current Quarter - works

Alarms QTD = TOTALQTD([Alarms Total],'Date'[Date])

Count for Previous Quarter - works - yes the dates are manual for testing this

Alarms Prev Qx = 
CALCULATE(
    [Alarms Total],
    FILTER (
       ALL(system),
        AND( 
           system[AlarmTime].[Date] >= date("2017","10","1"),
            system[AlarmTime].[Date] <= date("2017","12","31")
        )
    )
)

Count for Previous Quarter - doesn't work (blank)

Alarms Prev Q =
CALCULATE (
    [Alarms Total],
     PREVIOUSQUARTER('Date'[Date])
)

Average this Quarter to date - works

Response QTD Avg = TOTALQTD(AVERAGE(system[ResponseTime]),'Date'[Date])

Average for Previous Quarter - works - again manual dates for testing

Response Prev Qx Avg = 
CALCULATE(
    [Response Avg],
    FILTER (
       ALL(system),
        AND( 
           system[AlarmTime].[Date] >= date("2017","10","1"),
            system[AlarmTime].[Date] <= date("2017","12","31")
        )
    )
)

Finally, Average for Previous Quarter - doesn't work (blank)

Response Prev Q Avg =
CALCULATE ( 
    AVERAGE ( system[ResponseTime] ),
     PREVIOUSQUARTER( 'Date'[Date] )
)

9 REPLIES 9
mattbrice
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

i thing i see is you are using two different calendar tables.  'Date'[Date] with time intelligence, and system[Alarmtime].[Date] when computing manually. Which is used in visual?  And does 'Date'[Date] have all contiguous dates needed?

Thanks, I suggest you open the PBIX file in the previous reply, as it will be faster for you and more informative that me trying to write a long post.

For time intelligence the date table is used. The manual ones need the time from the same table as the average or calcrows value comes from. 'Date'[Date] uses the DAX create table from max and min dates for it. The bar graph works so this should all be OK.

Hi @misterian

I opened your file and make a quick test, if you create a filled map with calendar date and let's vary the date you will notice that the Response Prev Q Avg works...

The system needs to know what is the previous period so if you choose then the system can generate the previous quarter...

Let us know if it is not working..

I also downloaded the file, and to expand on the previous comment, PREVIOUSQUARTER finds the earliest single date visible in the current filter context, then returns the quarter previous to it.  In this case since you don't select a date the earliest visible is the first date in the 'Date' table and therefore can't go back any more.  So PREVIOUSQUARTER returns blank, which causes the CALCULATE to return blank.

Thanks, that makes sense. So what good is previous quarter? Can I feed a context from as the current date to the previous quarter or just find a different way to do this without previousquarter. Quarters are a little harder than years and months because quarters may "overlap" years.

I usually prefer to put slicers on the page for Year/Quarter/Month so people can interact with report, but you can do this:  

Response Prev Q Avg = 
var _today = FILTER( VALUES( 'Date'[Date] ), 'Date'[Date] = TODAY() )
RETURN
CALCULATE ( AVERAGE(system[ResponseTime]), PREVIOUSQUARTER( _today ) )

I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at. I need to have a card showing only the previous month's value, nothing else as part of my dashboard. The user must see only the previous Q relative to now without any interaction with the report.

Interkoubess
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @misterian,

Could you please share sample data and then we can make  try?

Thank you.

Ninter

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.