Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nirrobi
Helper V
Helper V

PQ - power query split multiple rows to multiple columns

Hi all,

is there a way to split multiple rows into multiple columns?

I have table similar to the below:

Column1Column2

1A
1B
2C
3D
3E
4F
5G

and I need to have form this above table table like this:

Column1Column2.1Column2.2
1AB
2C 
3DF
4F 
5G 

thanks in advanced.

Nir

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Someone already did... @Greg_Deckler

By the way, the not-so-easy solution with dynamic columns is in the code below.

I added a count with the grouping, added a line of code to generate column names to be used as last parameter for Table.SplitColumn added a step to remove the counts and removed the last #"Changed Type" step as the columns are text already.

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"Column1"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), type number},{"Column2", each Text.Combine([Column2],","), type text}}),
    Columns = List.Transform({1..List.Max(#"Grouped Rows"[Count])}, each "Column2."&Text.From(_)),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Column2", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), Columns),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{"Count"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

As you've pinged me in here - this would be my (dynamic) approach 😉 :

let
    Source = Table1,
    Group = Table.Group(Source, {"Column1"}, {{"All", each Table.FromRows({_[Column2]}), type table}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(Group,{{"Column1", "Item"}}),
    #"Expanded All" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "All", Table.ColumnNames(Table.Combine(#"Renamed Columns"[All])))
in
    #"Expanded All"

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

OK, this seems like it should be easy but I messed with it and can't get it. Perhaps @ImkeF or someone better with M than I can figure it out.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Someone already did... @Greg_Deckler

By the way, the not-so-easy solution with dynamic columns is in the code below.

I added a count with the grouping, added a line of code to generate column names to be used as last parameter for Table.SplitColumn added a step to remove the counts and removed the last #"Changed Type" step as the columns are text already.

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"Column1"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), type number},{"Column2", each Text.Combine([Column2],","), type text}}),
    Columns = List.Transform({1..List.Max(#"Grouped Rows"[Count])}, each "Column2."&Text.From(_)),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Column2", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), Columns),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{"Count"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Thanks a lot for your help and effort !!

Nir.

As you've pinged me in here - this would be my (dynamic) approach 😉 :

let
    Source = Table1,
    Group = Table.Group(Source, {"Column1"}, {{"All", each Table.FromRows({_[Column2]}), type table}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(Group,{{"Column1", "Item"}}),
    #"Expanded All" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "All", Table.ColumnNames(Table.Combine(#"Renamed Columns"[All])))
in
    #"Expanded All"

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

WOW,

thanks a lot.

As you might have discovered already, you can skip the "Rename"-step if the first column of you table isn't called "Column1". The reason is that through my code, the 1st column of the expanded columns will automatically be named Column1 and this would lead to a conflict.

So of your first column has a meaningful name already, no need to rename further then.

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes, you can easily group on Column1 and combine the values in Column2, separated by a comma and then split the column.

You only need a little trick when grouping on Column1: take the maximum of Column2 and then adjust the generated code to make it a Text.Combine.

You also need to be aware that the number of columns gets hard coded, so if you would refresh with new data that needs more columns, you will loose the additional values.

If so required, that can be taken care of as well, but it well get more complicated.

This is how the code was created:

And this is the resulting code:

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"Column1"}, {{"Column2", each Text.Combine([Column2],","), type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Column2", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column2.1", "Column2.2"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Column2.1", type text}, {"Column2.2", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors