Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jansenuy
Helper I
Helper I

POWERBI NEWBIE HELP

Hello,

I'm really new in using PowerBI and I'm just trying to study functions and create reports of future implementation.

Some background:

The data I have is already around 500,000 rows. My month column is formatted as YYYY/MM and read as MM/DD/YYYY by PowerBI. All the DDs are 1 since there are no dates. Weeks are formatted as YYYY/WW, but read as WW/DD/YYYY.

I tried using delimeter to create a separate week and month column through query. If I'm not mistaken, I read that I have to duplicate of my current master query and manipulate from there. After creating the three new columns, I removed other columns for easier loading. I don't know if this is right.

After trying to apply, I get this error on the values of my Week column although its format is already a whole number 

"DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a Date value.
Details:
2015/13" 

Also, another thing: PowerBI adds a row number column automatically with weird numbers. Is that normal? Do I delete it? Is it related to the indexing, something I read online as well? Thank you guys so much in advance.

----

Hope you guys can help. I have so much questions and I hope this website can guide me through.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jansenuy wrote:

Hello @Eric_Zhang

I am sending the excel file. Hope you can import it to a new pbix file because mine currently is very messy already as I tried experimenting on things. I'm really new at this so sorry about that. Again my three main issues are:

1. The row numbers added upon importation of the excel.

2. How to have separate week, year, and month columns?

3. Although I was able to delimit the week column into just plain numbers of 1,2,3,...53, it presents the parsing error upon applying the query.

4. Properly create charts that would present sales weekly in 2017 and 2016

https://www.sendspace.com/file/3ms5c2

Thank you again

@jansenuy

Thanks for sharing the file! 🙂

Based on my test, to import the excel in a good way, you can follow below steps.

1. Open Power BI desktop.
  2. Go to "File"->"Options and settings"->"Options"-> "Current File"->"Data Load" and uncheck "Automatically detect column types and header for unstructed sources" and "Auto Date/Time". Then click "OK".
  3. "Get data"->excel and load your file, check "Table1" and click "Editor" to go to Query Editor.
  4. Remove the step "Changed Type". Then you get the data imported correctly without any messy row number column.

Capture.PNG

To split Year/Week, click "Split column"

Capture.PNG

Change the sample sale to decimal type.

Capture.PNG

I'm trying to create a graph with 2016 sales values and 2017 sales values weekly. The 2016 values from weeks 1 to 52 are in line bar while the 2017 values are progressing above in a line.  

Then create two measures

sales 2016 = CALCULATE(sum(Table1[Sample Sale]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Year]="2016"))

sales 2017 = CALCULATE(sum(Table1[Sample Sale]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Year]="2017"))

Capture.PNG

Attached PBIX file for your reference.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@jansenuy wrote:

Hello,

I'm really new in using PowerBI and I'm just trying to study functions and create reports of future implementation.

Some background:

The data I have is already around 500,000 rows. My month column is formatted as YYYY/MM and read as MM/DD/YYYY by PowerBI. All the DDs are 1 since there are no dates. Weeks are formatted as YYYY/WW, but read as WW/DD/YYYY.

I tried using delimeter to create a separate week and month column through query. If I'm not mistaken, I read that I have to duplicate of my current master query and manipulate from there. After creating the three new columns, I removed other columns for easier loading. I don't know if this is right.

After trying to apply, I get this error on the values of my Week column although its format is already a whole number 

"DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a Date value.
Details:
2015/13" 

Also, another thing: PowerBI adds a row number column automatically with weird numbers. Is that normal? Do I delete it? Is it related to the indexing, something I read online as well? Thank you guys so much in advance.

----

Hope you guys can help. I have so much questions and I hope this website can guide me through.

@jansenuy

To avoid the auto conversion, you could go to "File"->"Options"->"Data Load" and uncheck the "Type detection".

For weird numbers, could you post a snapshot to show more details?

@Eric_Zhang

For the weird numbers, it's just a generated column titled Row Number then with random counting numbers as values. It's like it's trying to put a row number. It first happens when I imported Excel data into PowerBI. But instead of starting with 1 as row number, it starts with like 850 or 7493 some random start. I just delete it because I feel like it doesn't make sense since there is a row number in query mode anyway.

Regarding your solution, it did solve my error. Any reason behind that so I know in the future?

Also,

I'm trying to create a graph with 2016 sales values and 2017 sales values weekly. The 2016 values from weeks 1 to 52 are in line bar while the 2017 values are progressing above in a line.  My data is like this:

Year    Month    Week    Sales

2016   1             1           xxxx

2016   2             5           xxxx

2017   12           53         xxxx

Hope you get the idea above. I'm having a hard time choosing the right  fields to put in the line and clustered column chart. Totally a noob. 😞 Thanks in advance.

@jansenuy wrote:

@Eric_Zhang

For the weird numbers, it's just a generated column titled Row Number then with random counting numbers as values. It's like it's trying to put a row number. It first happens when I imported Excel data into PowerBI. But instead of starting with 1 as row number, it starts with like 850 or 7493 some random start. I just delete it because I feel like it doesn't make sense since there is a row number in query mode anyway.

Regarding your solution, it did solve my error. Any reason behind that so I know in the future?

Also,

I'm trying to create a graph with 2016 sales values and 2017 sales values weekly. The 2016 values from weeks 1 to 52 are in line bar while the 2017 values are progressing above in a line.  My data is like this:

Year    Month    Week    Sales

2016   1             1           xxxx

2016   2             5           xxxx

2017   12           53         xxxx

Hope you get the idea above. I'm having a hard time choosing the right  fields to put in the line and clustered column chart. Totally a noob. 😞 Thanks in advance.

With that option checked, Power BI desktop will try to understand and convert the data into proper types. You can also revert the conversion by deleting the changed types step.

Capture.PNG

I'm not yet able to get the weird numbers in my test, maybe you can share me your pbix file?

As to 2016 and 2017 question, you can try to put the Week as X-AXIS and create two measure with filters like below and put them to line values and column values accordingly.

2017 measure = calculate(SUM(table[Sales]),FILER('table',Max(table[Year])=2017))

2016 measure = calculate(SUM(table[Sales]),FILER('table',Max(table[Year])=2016))

Hi @Eric_Zhang thanks for your patience. Please see link to the download the error pictures. Apparently, the first error wasn't solved. Picture 1 shows that. Picture 2 shows the error with your code.  Thanks.

@jansenuy wrote:

@Eric_Zhang Sorry here it is https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/emrU%2FMROfd1E%2FD6g5dTPTQ

@jansenuy

The snapshot doesn't help too much, is it possible to share the pbix file and your excel?

Hello @Eric_Zhang

I am sending the excel file. Hope you can import it to a new pbix file because mine currently is very messy already as I tried experimenting on things. I'm really new at this so sorry about that. Again my three main issues are:

3. Although I was able to delimit the week column into just plain numbers of 1,2,3,...53, it presents the parsing error upon applying the query.

Thank you again

@jansenuy wrote:

Hello @Eric_Zhang

Thank you again

@jansenuy

Thanks for sharing the file! 🙂

Based on my test, to import the excel in a good way, you can follow below steps.

1. Open Power BI desktop.
  2. Go to "File"->"Options and settings"->"Options"-> "Current File"->"Data Load" and uncheck "Automatically detect column types and header for unstructed sources" and "Auto Date/Time". Then click "OK".
  3. "Get data"->excel and load your file, check "Table1" and click "Editor" to go to Query Editor.
  4. Remove the step "Changed Type". Then you get the data imported correctly without any messy row number column.

Capture.PNG

To split Year/Week, click "Split column"

Capture.PNG

Change the sample sale to decimal type.

Capture.PNG

I'm trying to create a graph with 2016 sales values and 2017 sales values weekly. The 2016 values from weeks 1 to 52 are in line bar while the 2017 values are progressing above in a line.  

Then create two measures

sales 2016 = CALCULATE(sum(Table1[Sample Sale]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Year]="2016"))

sales 2017 = CALCULATE(sum(Table1[Sample Sale]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Year]="2017"))

Capture.PNG

Attached PBIX file for your reference.

Thank you so much!!!!!!! I was able to generate the graph. What if I would be filtering two items from one column? How would I combine them? I tried using parenthesis, adding the word "and" and using && 😞 @Eric_Zhang

@jansenuy wrote:

Thank you so much!!!!!!! I was able to generate the graph. What if I would be filtering two items from one column? How would I combine them? I tried using parenthesis, adding the word "and" and using && 😞 @Eric_Zhang

@jansenuy

what column would you like to use to filter those two measures?

@Eric_Zhang I just have a bigger dataset with a location column and I need to filter 2 or more locations

@jansenuy wrote:

@Eric_Zhang I just have a bigger dataset with a location column and I need to filter 2 or more locations

Then I think those two measure shall work. Have you got any issue?

@Eric_Zhang Ended up with this and it got kinda confusing resulting to an error that said too few arguments passed to the filter function:

Spoiler
SalesA2016 = CALCULATE(SUM('Master Data'[Sales]),FILTER('Master Data','Master Data'[Year]="2016"), FILTER('Master Data'[Destination]in {"US","UK"}),FILTER('Master Data'[Selling Country]="Philippines"))

Don't know if I applied correctly. Thanks

@jansenuy wrote:

@Eric_Zhang Ended up with this and it got kinda confusing resulting to an error that said too few arguments passed to the filter function:

Spoiler
SalesA2016 = CALCULATE(SUM('Master Data'[Sales]),FILTER('Master Data','Master Data'[Year]="2016"), FILTER('Master Data'[Destination]in {"US","UK"}),FILTER('Master Data'[Selling Country]="Philippines"))

Don't know if I applied correctly. Thanks

@jansenuy

It is some syntax error, try

SalesA2016 =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Master Data'[Sales] ),
    FILTER ( 'Master Data', 'Master Data'[Year] = "2016" ),
    FILTER ( 'Master Data', 'Master Data'[Destination] IN { "US", "UK" } ),
    FILTER ( 'Master Data', 'Master Data'[Selling Country] = "Philippines" )
)

By the way, you can apply the destination and country in slicers instead of hard coded them in the measures.

Also a good DAX Formatter site FYI.

sales 2017 /2017= CALCULATE(sum(Table1[Sample Sale]),Table1[Year]in {"2017","2016"})

@jansenuy 

or  

sales 2017 /2017= CALCULATE(sum(Table1[Sample Sale]),Table1[Year] = "2017" ||
Table1[Year] = "2016")

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

@Eric_Zhang Hope you can still help. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.