Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dniedrauer
Resolver I
Resolver I

Oracle Problems Power BI Desktop

I'm having issues with connecting Power BI Desktop to an Oracle database. 

"Oracle: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified"

Here was the info I was given (I've changed some letters): 

Connection Name: BI_BRUCE_USER 1 PROD

USER NAME: USER_NAME

Password: ****

Hostname: lira2

Port: 1521

SID: du1b

I edited the tnsnames.ora file to 

BI_PRICE_USER1 PROD =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = lira2)(PORT = 1521))
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = du1b.company.com)
)
)

Now, the error I get is ORA-12170:TNS:Connect timeout occured. What's going on? Am I missing tons of information or not? 

EDIT: tried  connecting via an IP address instead. Now, the error I get (which is the same error I get in Excel using the tnsnames.ora file) is: 

Details: "Oracle: ORA-12504: TNS:listener was not given the SERVICE_NAME in CONNECT_DATA"

.....am I at least closer now? where do I go from here? 

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dniedrauer,

Perhaps you can take a look at below article:

Troubleshooting

You may encounter serveral errors from Oracle when the naming syntax is either incorrect or not configured properly.

• ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified
  • ORA-12514: TNS listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor
  • ORA-12541: TNS: no listener
  • ORA-12170: TNS:Connect timeout occurred
  • ORA-12504: TNS listener was not given the SERVICE_NAME in CONNECT_DATA

These errors could occur if either the Oracle client is not installed, or if it is not configured properly. If it is installed, you will want to verify the tnsnames.ora file is properly configured and you are using the proper net_service_name. You will also need to make sure that the net_service_name is the same between the machine using Power BI Desktop and the machine that is running the gateway. For more information, see Installing the Oracle Client.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I'm actually trying to connect via Phone Bi desktop. Is a gateway even relevant here?

Would also be nice to know: (1) what's a net service name? (2) what does it look like and (3) what other things is it usually called ?

Hi @dniedrauer,

On my side, I can direct use service name connect to oracle database. Have you test to use command line to connect to your oracle server?

Establishing a Connection and Testing the Network

In addition, you can also check your oracle service to confirm it has turned on.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.