Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RobotMoses
Frequent Visitor

Opening / Editing a datamodel.file

I am trying to read a Power Bi DataModel.file (unkown type). I have tried Edge, Word, Notepad, Notepad++, Chrome and Visual Studio.

This is one of the files a Power Bi is comprised of, it appears when a Power Bi file is zipped, then the zip is opened.

Does anyone know how to make the file readable?

6 REPLIES 6
ranuaggarwal

I have same query. Are you able to read the Datamodel file?

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @RobotMoses,

You need to install a Power BI desktop in your local computer. Then you can open the .pbix file using Power BI. Just like, you need to install work if you want to open .doc file.

Best Regards,
Angelia

I understand this, my objective is to read the DataModel.file outside of PowerBI and make changes programmatically.

Hi @RobotMoses,

How do you get DataModel.file, the suffix of the file is .file? I havn't seen such type document before. And what software did you use to zip the file.

Best Regards,
Angelia

I used WinRAR to zip the file.

Hi @RobotMoses,

Ok, got it. You use WinRAR to zip the .pbix file. From what I know, I don't know other file to open .pbix file. Here is a blog, hope it's useful.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.