Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gozde
Helper I
Helper I

OLE DB or ODBC error: evaluation ran out of memory and can't continue

Good Afternoon,

I have this error:

"OLE DB or ODBC error: evaluation ran out of memory and can't continue"

The location is folder, I removed some of files, but still get the error. When I put additional filters, the error disappears.

Do you know any solution?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Gozde

From your error, as well as when you are filtering out some data, it does appear that you do not have enough memory on your system for Power BI to be able to work correctly.

Ideally you would require to install additional memory onto your system where you have Power BI Desktop installed, or if you have another PC or laptop with additional memory to use that?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Gozde

From your error, as well as when you are filtering out some data, it does appear that you do not have enough memory on your system for Power BI to be able to work correctly.

Ideally you would require to install additional memory onto your system where you have Power BI Desktop installed, or if you have another PC or laptop with additional memory to use that?

Power BI Blog

Hey GilbertQ, I am getting the same error. I have a 3.26 Gb CSV file and I am importing the data into the Power BI desktop app on Windows. I am a pro user (in trial period), and thus should not have the 1 Gb file size limitation. I have 16 Gb RAM on my system and wanted to know how much more memory would be needed to load this data into PBI?
Thanks 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

If this error comes from a gateway refresh? On what PC should we extend memory? @GilbertQ 

Hi there,

It would be where the Power Query is being run.

If you are refreshing this through Power BI Desktop, then it would be the PC you are running Power BI Desktop on.

If you are running it via the On-Premise Data Gateway then that PC/Server would need more memory.

Are you running it in 32bit or 64bit?

Power BI Blog

Thank you!

I removed some of the filters & it solved the problem!

Best regards,

Gozde

Hi @Gozde,

Great to hear the problem got resolved! Could you accept your reply above as solution to close this thread? Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.