Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DuncanP
Advocate II
Advocate II

Numeric Range Slicer

Hi

This is a great new feature, so thank you for implementing it (I realise it's not in Power BI online yet, but it will be great when it is)

I do however have a couple of comments on its behaviour. I've created a table that contains discrete values and used that as the source of the slicer. I've then created two measures that show the max and min value selected. However, because the slicer doesn't respect the discrete values in the table, you get situations where the values selected on the slicer don't correspond to the max-min calculated measures.

This is because moving the slicer ends up with it using values that are not in the table. So for example, if I select between 0.005 and 0.01, the actual slicer values behind the scenes are 0.00497598796 and 0.0100467686. Most of the time this is not an issue, but occasionally the slicer values leave out the relevant values from the table. The worst example is when you drag both ends of the slicer to the same value, as this causes the measures to disappear altogether. So if I want to use the slicer to select 0.01, what it actually does is try to select values between 0.0100467686 and 0.0100467686, which of course returns nothing, as that value is not in the table.

I've got around this for now by removing the actual slicer in the visual settings, so that the user can just enter the numbers they want, but this is obviously less user friendly.

Is this something that can be fixed, or does it have to work this way for some reason?

Duncan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DuncanP,

Based on my understanding, it may be the default behavior currently, as the numeric range slicer is mainly used for choosing ranges from the following three selections:

• Between(value>a and value <b, excluding a and b)
  • Less than or equal to(value <=b, including b)
  • Greater than or equal to(value>=a , including a)

So I would suggest you suggest you submit your requirement on Power BI Ideas to improve Power BI on this feature.Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DuncanP,

Based on my understanding, it may be the default behavior currently, as the numeric range slicer is mainly used for choosing ranges from the following three selections:

• Between(value>a and value <b, excluding a and b)
  • Less than or equal to(value <=b, including b)
  • Greater than or equal to(value>=a , including a)

So I would suggest you suggest you submit your requirement on Power BI Ideas to improve Power BI on this feature.Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft

Thanks for the advice. I've added an idea here Smiley Happy

Duncan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.