Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

New drill through problem

The new Power BI Desktop is her and it contains a new Drill Tab for easier drill through from a datapoint. But I can't make it work for some reason. I have a very simple column chart showing SalesAmout grouped by Year. But when I go to the Drill Tab only the

"See Data" button is available. The "See Records" is "Greyed out" ?? So what Am I missing?

TIA

Bobby Henningsen

3 REPLIES 3
michellmadeira
Frequent Visitor

Apparently, you did not added additional information to break into your data, on your visual block (graph).

I mean:

- Year

- Quarter

- Month

- Day

Sometimes, depending on the format of your data, Power BI does it for you.

But you can also create your own levels by, again, putting additional information into your block.

I guess power BI is not grouping your info (date) into year, quarter, month or day, just because of the format of your column (numeric, or text).

Look at this example, and spot the difference:

On this case, I only have the dimension "Data" (represents the date).

I am not able to drill, because the graph does not contain any lower level to drill:REPORT1.png

On this case, I put some additional dimensions to break into - "ano" (year), "mesAno" (month of the year) and the initial "data" (date).

Now I have dimensions to drill into - years that contains months, and months that contains days:

REPORT2.png

I recommed you to change your date column's format to date, or to use other columns to detail your info.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Michell 

@Anonymous Interesting. It would appear that in order for the "See Records" to appear you need to be using a column in your table, the selection is grayed out when a measure is used. My assumption is that you are using a measure as the SalesAmount.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer you're quite right. Thank u. The presentation on PowerBI.com didn't quite clarify that 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.