Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dkel6177
Regular Visitor

New Help with a forumula, Kind of new to DAX and coming from SAP Crystal

I am sure this is pretty simply, but I appreciate the help. I have a table of information that I want to performa a condition summary measure within. I want to conditionally sum the currency in a field based on whether or not certain text appears in another column. The standard = does not work becuase I need it to search for specific text within a series of string. Can someone help me out. 

12 REPLIES 12
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dkel6177

Measure =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( TableName[Currency Column] ),
    TableName[Condition Column] = "Condition 1"
)

Thanks for the help,... but in the condition 1 area where I would search for text... will is look for a wildcard value. For instance... I want to return a summary on a column where the word "budget" might appear amongst other values or embedded within other text. Like "Admin Budget"

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

How are you going to Visualize this?

Screen Shot.png

In a Card. Just trying to show Total Budgeted based on Whether Budget appears in the text or Spent. I need to search for this work in the Budget Node Text.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Try this...

Measure =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( TableName[Currency Column] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( TableName, TableName[Condition Column] )
)
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

This should be enough for the Card

Sum of Spent =
IF ( ISBLANK ( SUM ( 'PD SUMMATY'[Value] ) ), 0, SUM ( 'PD SUMMATY'[Value] ) )

It will show Overall Total when nothing is selected and will filter based on the slicer or if you click on the other charts.

Wild card? Are you looking for user input? I mean user to type and search???

I can get what I want if I just filter the visualization, But I need it as a measure so that I can use it for additional calculations. I thought there might be a way to this with a wildcard.

Sum of Spent = SUMX(FILTER('PD SUMMARY', 'PD SUMMARY'[Budget Node] = "Spent"), 'PD Summary' [Value])

Where "Spent" could be a wildcard like "*Spent*"? Can't seem to get it to search out an filter the calculation where it see's "Spent" anywhere in the text.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dkel6177 I'm gonna test this later... In the meantime this may help you...

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/from-sql-to-dax-string-comparison/

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dkel6177 Create a Conditional Column (Category) in the Query Editor as shown in the picture

Category.png

Then Duplicate and Rename the Original (Budget Node) column

and Replace Values (first Budget and then Spent) as in the picture

Category2.png

Now as you can see in the picture you can create any Measures and/or Slicers to display the data!

Category3.png

Hope this helps!

@ImkeF no need for M with the new conditional column option Smiley Happy

By the way Marco and Alberto have a new book coming out in October.

@Sean very nice! (also your mini-tutorial)

What will the book be about / which focus/perspective will they take this time?

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ImkeF No details yet...  I just got an email from Amazon that I can pre-order it...

New Book.png

Just gives me the total without searching for the text I need. Just trying to calulate values based on whether or not the word "Budget" or "Spent" appears in that column. However there is string in front of it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.