Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alex_Belfiglio

Need Help on splitting/combining values

I'm having a table of people, each with a value of how many projects they are working on. But the list contains duplicates when two people are working on it together, which is counted seperately. 

Ex: There are 3 people a 10 total projects, here is how the list would look.

"Person 1" - 3 projects

"Person 2" - 2 Projects

"Person 3" - 2 Projects

"Person 1 / Person 2" - 2 Projects

"Person 2 / Person 3" - 1 Project

Is there a way to I can split or combine these values, or insert a delimeter of "/" to get a cleaner listing like this?

"Person 1" - 5 Projects

"Person 2" - 5 Projects

"Person 3" - 3 Projects 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ok i think it is easy :

- goto query editor

- select "ASsigned Person" column

- under "Split Column" in menu, choose "By Delimiter"

- Choose semicolor delimiter

-  Click Advaced option and select "rows"

- click ok

and this will do, so in you graph, now you will get the data what you are looking for

- drop person on x axis and project id on value (and choose count as summarization)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

are quotes (") part of your data or it is just put in sample.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Just a sample to show that Person 1 / Person 2 is together.

can you share how your real data looks like?

Also do you always maximum 2 person like Person 1 / Person 2 or it can be more than 2 as well?

Sure, here is the table I'm working on in Direct Query.

project example table.PNG

Here are the charts that I'm trying to work with, with the top chart showing what I get, and the bottom filtered to show what I'm trying to make (with incorrect counts). But having trouble getting the values to correctly allocate to the individual persons.

project example charts.PNG

ok i think it is easy :

- goto query editor

- select "ASsigned Person" column

- under "Split Column" in menu, choose "By Delimiter"

- Choose semicolor delimiter

-  Click Advaced option and select "rows"

- click ok

and this will do, so in you graph, now you will get the data what you are looking for

- drop person on x axis and project id on value (and choose count as summarization)

Thanks, I think I'm getting slightly closer. I don't seem to have a "rows" option, this might due to not having the last couple updates.

splitting.PNG

It did split well into additional columns, I'm hopin to maybe add these together on my chart axis, but it looks like right now it is still filtering by the hierarchy.

project example table split.PNG

i think you missed one step there , you need to choose Rows in advanced than columns

rows.PNG

this is what i produced from you data, assuming there / delimiter where more than 1 people working on a project.

project.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.