Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jansenuy
Helper I
Helper I

NEWBIE HELP POWER BI

Hello,

I'm really new in using PowerBI and I'm just trying to study functions and create reports of future implementation.

Some background:

The data I have is already around 500,000 rows. My month column is formatted as YYYY/MM and read as MM/DD/YYYY by PowerBI. All the DDs are 1 since there are no dates. Weeks are formatted as YYYY/WW, but read as WW/DD/YYYY.

I tried using delimeter to create a separate week and month column through query. If I'm not mistaken, I read that I have to duplicate of my current master query and manipulate from there. After creating the three new columns, I removed other columns for easier loading. I don't know if this is right.

After trying to apply, I get this error on the values of my Week column although its format is already a whole number 

"DataFormat.Error: We couldn't parse the input provided as a Date value.
Details:
2015/13" 

Also, another thing: PowerBI adds a row number column automatically with weird numbers. Is that normal? Do I delete it? Is it related to the indexing, something I read online as well? Thank you guys so much in advance.

----

Hope you guys can help. I have so much questions and I hope this website can guide me through.

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

What I think you might need is a date table, which you can then use those columns when joining on a date table?

Here is a link to a great blog post which explains this: http://radacad.com/do-you-need-a-date-dimension

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

well as far as i can tell this is your problem 2015/13 is not a whole number, a whole number would be 201513 so it looks like it is failing, you will have to clean those values up.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Do you have any suggestion on how to clean the values? It's filtered so I expect the 2015/13 to appear via filter, but all I can see are 1,2,3,...12,...,53, which represent the weeks of the year. I tried searching/expanding the filter list but it says it can't parse the data. Any suggestions on how to do this? Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.