Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CraigBlackman
Helper III
Helper III

Multiple lines text in a table or Matrix

Hi,

I am using the matrix or table to display data. In excel and it will display the text in multiple row, In power BI as 1 contiunous line which is no good.

Anyone know a way around this? The data is coming out of SQL server.

Thanks

Craig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Seth_C_Bauer, it appears not to be SQL related but a direct issue with PowerBI.

I have made contact witht hem and they are activly looking into this.

My way around this for now is to pull the data into a pivot table in Excel and use the workbook function now available in BI, not ideal but a work around.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
CraigBlackman
Helper III
Helper III

Thansk for your input, i'll have a go with both options and see if they help at all.

Thanks again

Craig

@CraigBlackman Can you clarify something for me? Is this one value that splits in Excel, but not in Power BI, or are you saying an entire table of data is being rolled into one line?

I'm assuming the first is accurate. Do you have any hidden characters in the text value, like paragraph or line breaks? Excel will split these into multiple lines, Power BI may not and thus if it is one value will just show it as such... (I haven't tested this)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

It is one field thats wrapped up into 1 line, not the whole table.

It appears that the associated field in our SQL database uses a double space as the new line identifier.

Thanks

Craig

You might be able to use M code Text.Replace to replace the new line characters from SQL with ones that Power BI might recognize:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt260659.aspx

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@CraigBlackman can you pull the data from the data using a query? You could specify a function to split text for that field on that delimiter if you want it in two rows instead of the one.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

The data is presently using a SQl query to do so, so yes I can.

Not sure how to do as you suggested. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Craig

@CraigBlackman There are multiple ways to accomplish this. This forum has several different solutions to the problem, in your case you would just change the comma delimiter to double space.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5493510/turning-a-comma-separated-string-into-individual-rows

@Seth_C_Bauer, it appears not to be SQL related but a direct issue with PowerBI.

I have made contact witht hem and they are activly looking into this.

My way around this for now is to pull the data into a pivot table in Excel and use the workbook function now available in BI, not ideal but a work around.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Craig,

Kindly expain how you solved this.

Thanks

Vishy

Hi Craig,

Kindly expain how you solved this.

Thanks

Vishy

@CraigBlackman Interesting... Thanks for the update. I'd be interested in hearing what exactly the issue was... Treating hidden characters differently, etc.

@Seth_C_Bauer, I'll keep you posted.

I gues that someone could get over this with a custom visual, unfortunately I don't know enough about code to do this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CraigBlackman, not sure if you've seen this, but looks like this would help for what you might need: 

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6700612-text-wrap-in-tables-cards...

Jonathan 

Sure does, lets hope that comes out soon.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.