Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple data sources no longer refresh as a group

I have a report with data sources including SSAS cube, OLAP tables, excel and web sources. Before the March 2018 update I could refresh all of the sources together. Now my refresh fails unless I manually refresh each data source separately, which it handles just fine.

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hello ronOHI,

I have a test on my site with the version 2.56.5023.942 64-bit (March 2018) and it works well when refresh all the sources together. Would you please show us some detail information about your issue? For example, what is your version and the error message when your refresh failed?

Best regards

Maggie Li

Anonymous
Not applicable

My response was cut short...again!

Here is my #3 error again (for one of my excel worksheets): "The AVERAGE function only accepts a column reference as an argument. The following system error occurred:   " - Note , again no system error quoted.

It appears that every single query fails with various errors and that the errors per each data source are the same each time I try the group refresh. Again, each query works without error when I do them separately. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Hello ronOHI,

Sorry for being late, thank you for your kindly cooperation with us, as the error message shows, It seems that your tables from different data source have been applied some functions, for example, merge queries in query edit, create DAX with values from different data sources. When the values referenced to other tables miss while refreshing all together, it may lead to some errors. If this is in this case, refreshing separately may be a choice to avoid the error.

If it’s convenient and necessary for you , some detailed information will be appreciated, such as the error logs (see how to find the error log of date refresh on Power BI Desktop in the link https://ruiromanoblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/08/power-bi-desktop-trace-logs-analyser/), and confirm if my understanding about your data model and functions applied is right or what it exactly is.

Best regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to post this reply a minute ago but it appears not to have been recorded, so I try again.

I am using the same PBI version as you are using in your test site. My refreshes all work fine when done separately. They used to work OK using refresh all. Here are three of the errors I am receiving every time I try to group refresh.

1 (on my SSAS cube): "Failed to resolve name 'tot'. It is not a valid table, variable, or function name. The value for 'Hod' cannot be determined. Either 'Hod' doesn't exist, or there is no current row for a column named 'Hod':"

2. (error for one of my several ODBC queries): "The following system error occurred:   " - Note, there is no system error quoted, just this.

2. (error for one of my excel worksheets): "The AVERAGE

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.