Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jonathan_P
Helper II
Helper II

Multi fact problem

Hello,

I am relatively new to star schema design, Power BI and its best pratices, especially when there are multiple fact tables on the same report.

I am struggling a little bit with the following design where there are 2 fact tables, 'Ventes' (the business process are the sales) and 'Analyses' (business process are the chemical or water analysis performed). I want to be able to slice 'Ventes' using 'Date de facture' (Date dimension). At the same time on the report, I want to see the 'Date d'analyse' related to 'Analyses'. I want that info on the same table visualization.

I tried to put cross filter direction to Both for relationships between 'Ventes' and the 4 dimensions at the center but I have a warning (that indicates that Power BI can't handle more than one filtering path) that prevent me to do so.

1) Do I need to put a common Date dimension?

2) Do I need to create a compound dimension for all shared dimension between the 2 fact tables?

Etc.

Note that the 'Date d'analyse' is a date a few days before the 'Date de facture'. Logically, I can't have a common Date dimension.

I know there is something wrong with my design.

Thank you

Schéma.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Jonathan_P

In this scenario, what do you mean " 'Date d'analyse' is a date a few days before the 'Date de facture'." If this just a date to filter corresponding fact table, which means there's no direct relationship between 'Ventes' and 'Analyses', you should build date dimension into a common dimension.

" Power BI can't handle more than one filtering path"

You are correct. You can only keep one path between two tables based on relationship. So it's better to make "Single" cross filter direction between those common dimensions and fact tables.

5.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Jonathan_P

In this scenario, what do you mean " 'Date d'analyse' is a date a few days before the 'Date de facture'." If this just a date to filter corresponding fact table, which means there's no direct relationship between 'Ventes' and 'Analyses', you should build date dimension into a common dimension.

" Power BI can't handle more than one filtering path"

You are correct. You can only keep one path between two tables based on relationship. So it's better to make "Single" cross filter direction between those common dimensions and fact tables.

5.PNG

Regards,

Thanks to both of you, @v-sihou-msft and @Greg_Deckler. Like you said, what I needed was a common date dimension between the 2 fact tables.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, you would want to have a common date dimension. In fact, you would want common dimensions for all shared dimensions between your fact tables in general.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.