Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pmdci
Advocate V
Advocate V

More focus on bug squashing over feature adding

Another month, another monthly update...

While it is nice to see some features being added here and there (even though I am puzzled on the criteria of which features take priority -- as it certainly isn't number of votes, nor quality issues Smiley Tongue) -- I am baffled to see that bugs that have been reported 6+ months ago (which MSFT acknowledged to be a bug) are still in the product.

CASE IN POINT: Adding an image URL field for a slicer works if the slicer orientation is vertical. However, if the orientation is set to horizontal, the URL of the image is shown instead of the image.

I know everyone likes to see new features being added, but quite often some features seems to be added half-way, or with bugs. I feel it is time that the Power BI team should focus on squashing bugs and increasing the quality of the product, even if this delays the introduction of new data sources or other novel capabilities.

Some qualitative issues include:

• Not being able to open a report that is already published in powerbi.com.
  • Not being able to specify the font colour in a text box (this would have never passed if I was the QA Smiley LOL)
  • Keyboard nudge not working when multiple visuals are selected Smiley Embarassed (maybe this will help).
  • Lack of Enterprise Gateway for Power BI Embedded (PBE is pretty much useless otherwise).
  • Support for custom R scripts (if you want to open the gates of R, then open all the way. Most R users require an obscure R package here and there. I for instance code my own packages).

I'm sure many might disagree, but I would love to se a list of "here is all that we fixed in this release of Power BI" every two months rather than a list of new features every month.

5 REPLIES 5
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@pmdci

Thanks for your feedback. 🙂

Hi @Eric_Zhang

I did notice that MSFT created an Issues forum (thank you so much for that!) but it seems to be broken. When trying to submit a post, it always says that the message tag is invalid no matter what. Can you please have a look?

Thanks for that!

Regards,

P.

@pmdci wrote:

Hi @Eric_Zhang

I did notice that MSFT created an Issues forum (thank you so much for that!) but it seems to be broken. When trying to submit a post, it always says that the message tag is invalid no matter what. Can you please have a look?

Thanks for that!

Regards,

P.

If you refer to this forum, I can succeed submitting an issue in Chrome. Maybe switch to use another browser?

@Eric_Zhang You reference this URL: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/360879-issues

At the top of that link is a reference that things will be moving to this URL
http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

However, at this time, nothing is there except 1 link by Chuck. So, essentially the "Issues" link at the top of the Community appears to point to a new URL that is not yet set up correctly...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Eric_Zhang

Nope... I tried 4 different browsers. The problem keeps happening. It has something to do with the message tag that is not accepted.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors