Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

darkhorse13
Regular Visitor

Month to Date calculations looking at the same time period, same business days count, over two years

Hi all,

Here is the business case: say I want to look at revenue summed up from 9/1/16 thru 12/3116. Then, I want to look at the period with the SAME NUMBER OF BUSINESS DAYS as the time range above for 2015. I have struggled with a solution since SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR or PARALLELPERIOD will not work on its own since I have to take into account Holidays. For example, in the 2016 time frame, there was an additional holiday, the Friday after Thanksgiving (that the company counted as a holiday and not a business day for 2016) but was a business day for 2015. I have thought of looking at the MAX (count of business days) from 2016 to = 2015 but not sure how I can show this. I envision a slicer where I can select a date range, and that slicer will control the current year date range selected and show the revenue, but then in a table, also show the previous years' revenue over the same # of business days (defined by my company). Any and all insight would be great! I have scoured the community forums looking for a similar solution and have not found one yet 😞 Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here is some reading for you. 

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-pivot-calendar-tables/

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/dax-time-intelligence-beginners/

My idea Is to create a calendar with a Day-ID column starting at 1 and incrementing by 1 for every day (never restarts).  Also have another WorkDay-ID column starting at 1 and incrementing by 1 for every workday (never restarts). You can then write custom time intelligence using the ID column to find the Day-ID this year and the same day prior year (current Day-ID minus 365). You can write measures to determine the Start and End workday ID in your current filter context and hence the number of workdays. You can use the Day-iD to find the anchor date (either start or end date 365 days ago) and then the number of work days to set the other end (you have to anchor either the start or end date given the number of days can vary). 

I haven't tested it, but at is what I suggest you try. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Here is some reading for you. 

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-pivot-calendar-tables/

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/dax-time-intelligence-beginners/

My idea Is to create a calendar with a Day-ID column starting at 1 and incrementing by 1 for every day (never restarts).  Also have another WorkDay-ID column starting at 1 and incrementing by 1 for every workday (never restarts). You can then write custom time intelligence using the ID column to find the Day-ID this year and the same day prior year (current Day-ID minus 365). You can write measures to determine the Start and End workday ID in your current filter context and hence the number of workdays. You can use the Day-iD to find the anchor date (either start or end date 365 days ago) and then the number of work days to set the other end (you have to anchor either the start or end date given the number of days can vary). 

I haven't tested it, but at is what I suggest you try. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.