Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marcodea
Helper II
Helper II

Missing conditional formatting on destop file based on Power BI service

Hello, I'm working with a desktop file that use POWER BI SERVICE as datasource and no CONDITIONAL FORMATTING is available.

Table fields

Cattura1.PNG

Field formatting

Cattura.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @marcodea,

It's right according to my test. These functions return numerical result. I am sure this feature will be improved. You can submit or vote an idea here: power-bi-ideas.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

A Power BI Service connection is a "live" connection and not everything works the same with live connections.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler I'm really surprised about your reply and today I've a bad mood about Power BI.

Maybe was my fault, but I've ever came across a warning that reporting were affected by live connection.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets/#limitat...

In my opinion datasource and reporting should be distinct component of the system and not effetc each other in this way.

I hope there is a solution to this issue.

Hi @marcodea,

It seems only tables have conditional formatting. And it only works on the columns in the area "Values". According to my test, it works with a connection to the Service. 

>>>With conditional formatting for tables, you can specify customized cell background colors based on cell values, including using gradient colors. To access conditional formatting, in the Fields well of the Visualizations pane in Power BI Desktop, select the down-arrow beside the value in the Values well that you want to format (or right-click the field). You can only manage conditional formatting for fields in the Values area of the Fields well.

Reference: powerbi-desktop-conditional-table-formattingMissing conditional formatting on destop file based on Power BI service.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft thanks for replying.

I'm working with table and columns in VALUES area, but conditional formatting dorsn't appear.

Do you have any other suggestion?

regards

Cattura.PNG

Hi @marcodea,

The only suggestion I can make is upgrading Power BI Desktop to the latest version from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331.

According to my test, even a text field can have conditional formatting if it returns numerical result.

Missing conditional formatting on destop file based on Power BI service2.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi all, I've noticed tha CONDITION FORMATTING function doesn't compare if DON'T SUMMIRIZE is active. When is set one of the following (SUM, COUNT, EVARGE, etc) it work fine.

Is this behaviour as expected?

Hi @marcodea,

It's right according to my test. These functions return numerical result. I am sure this feature will be improved. You can submit or vote an idea here: power-bi-ideas.

Best Regards!

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.