Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IgorDo

Megre Query with Condition

Hi all,

I have a table A with say two columns: "Unique ID" and "Type". And I have a table B with another three columns: "Unique ID", "Type", and "Value".

I would like to merge them in such fashion, that when "Type"=1, then the corresponding value from table B is taken, and only when there is no entry with "Type"=1, I would take other valuee from table B. (dont bother about multiple entries and so on... I solved it).

In SQL I would solve it with two consequtive joins and a where condition. How would I do it in PowerBI Query Editor?

Many thanks in advance,

Igor.

1 REPLY 1
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can do something similar like in the query below.

This will merge on ID and Type and merge again only on ID.

Then a column is added that picks one of the 2 nested Tables B.

It may not be the correct interpretation (as I'm confused as where the type 1 should be found: in table A or table B), but this would be the direction:

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(TableA,{"Unique ID", "Type"},TableB,{"Unique ID", "Type"},"TableB_Types1",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(Source,{"Unique ID"},TableB,{"Unique ID"},"TableB_Other",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Merged Queries", "TableB", each if [Type] = 1 then [TableB_Types1] else [TableB_Other]),
    #"Expanded TableB" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "TableB", {"Type", "Value"}, {"TableB.Type", "TableB.Value"})
in
    #"Expanded TableB"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.