Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fordmichael20
Frequent Visitor

Measures Contain Different Values on Table View and Visual View

Hi,

I'm using the dates from a transaction table as measures and then using them in my column. My measures look good in the visual view, I've called them RD1 and RD2 based on a column "RD". However I'm finding them inconsistent when used in my table. Here is my definition for them, the values get shown as I'd like in the visual view:

RD1.PNGRD2.PNG

However, in the column/table view these never change, they only reference the first and last dates in the table from which they're pulled (RD column). Why doesn't this flow back to the table view (note that I added a column just to show what the measures were as I worked through.

RD Table View.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
fordmichael20
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue where my measures are inconsistent between the table view and the visual view. I created two measures for beginning and end dates, RD1 and RD2. Below shows them with different values depending on where I look. Is this the expected behaviour?

RD1.PNGRD2.PNGRD Table View.PNG

@fordmichael20,

This is the difference between calculated measure and calculated column.

Calculated columns (and tables) are:

- Evaluated for each row in your table, immediately after you hit 'Enter' to complete the formula

- Saved back into the model so take up space

Calculated Measures are:

- Evaluated when you use it in a visual, when the visual is rendered

- Not saved anywhere (well, actually there's a cache in the report layer but it's not part of the file when you hit Save)

Please refer to the link below to see the details.
http://www.sqlbi.com/articles/calculated-columns-and-measures-in-dax/
https://projectbotticelli.com/knowledge/dax-calculated-columns-vs-measures-video-tutorial

Regards,
Charlie Liao

@v-caliao-msft

Thanks for the feedback.

Do you have any recommendation for how to take a value defined in a visual and using it in a column calculation then? Or is this not something Power BI can do?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.