Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

webportal
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Matrix - How to remove the grand total and keep subtotals?

Hello,

Is there a way to keep the subtotals and remove the grand total in a matrix?

For example, in the following matrix, it doesn't make sense to add values for multiple years of sales (thus, also to keep a grand total row), but it is necessary to add values for different months in the same year:

Capturar.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@webportal,

Download the latest version and refer to picture below.

Capture.PNG

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
timetraveler
Regular Visitor

See link on how this can be achieved.  I stumbled across it while looking for the answer myself.

https://bibelinda.com/2021/05/05/matrix-visual-totals-and-subtotals-in-microsoft-power-bi/

TimoRiikonen
Advocate III
Advocate III

Thanks @timetraveler and @v-chuncz-msft , you can define which totals have been enabled by selecting Row subtotals --> Apply settings to per row level on.

Not true.  See link below.  It shows how to disable one or the other.

https://bibelinda.com/2021/05/05/matrix-visual-totals-and-subtotals-in-microsoft-power-bi/

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@webportal,

In the Format section of the Visualizations pane, expand the Subtotals card, turn the Row subtotals slider to On and then Per row level slider.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft thanks, but it's not working..

Capturar.JPG

I can either remove ALL subtotals or enable them ALL, but can't find out how to remove the grand total only.

@webportal,

Download the latest version and refer to picture below.

Capture.PNG

It's located under Format (roller icon) > Subtotals > Keep the Row Subtotals on, scroll down a bit to last section of Subtotals, you'll see per Row Level and other fields available. You just switch the toggle.

I have version Version: 2.71.5523.941 64-bit (juli 2019) (Desktop) but cannot find it.

Where exactly do i find it?

Sorry - found it! (but it looked different)

For the Matrix Format (roller icon) there is not much functionality under the Grand Total property yet unfortunately.

I changed the Font Colour to white to make the grand total figure disappear, good enough till this is enhanced 🙂

I did the same thing, changing the font for the grand total row to white, although that "Total" word still appears on the left.   I guess that's a compromise, but it's disappointing that, even 3 years after your post, Microsoft doesn't distinguish between subtotal rows and grand total rows.

gveg
Regular Visitor

In the latest version (2023-Apr) you set "Row subtotals" On and then "Per row level" also to On. Leaving the latter Off enables row Grand totals. Kinda misleading, but that's how it works.

@v-chuncz-msft ah, the latest version...

Thank you Microsoft 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.