Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mgallacher
Frequent Visitor

Mapping Dates Through Bridge Table

I have one many to many table AS orders, one bridge table AS Account Manager ID and the third many to many table AS Master Data(2).

I created a bridge table so my many to many tables could connect to each other and I connected them though an id. There are dates in both many to many tables and they don't communicate with each other. I need to filter by date in my report, from the Master Data(2) table, and have orders update to the data range selected. 

Bridge-Table.PNG

Can anyone help? I can't find this posted anywhere. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mgallacher,

You can create a date dimension table (suppose it's named as 'DimDate') using CALENDAR() function. Then this new table will contain a column with unique date values. Then, you can create a one to many relationship between 'orders' and 'DimDate' based on date field. Also, create a one to many relationship between 'Master Data(2)' and 'DimDate'. In that case, 'DimDate' works as a bridge table.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @mgallacher

Why not have a separate date table that you connect to both your Orders and Master Data(2) table and use that as your filter table?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Could you give a brief explanation or visual as to how you would set that up? I'm just a marketer who plays an analyst at work. I appreciate the help. 

Hi @mgallacher,

You can create a date dimension table (suppose it's named as 'DimDate') using CALENDAR() function. Then this new table will contain a column with unique date values. Then, you can create a one to many relationship between 'orders' and 'DimDate' based on date field. Also, create a one to many relationship between 'Master Data(2)' and 'DimDate'. In that case, 'DimDate' works as a bridge table.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you! That solution worked well and I can create a filter from the new date table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.