Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Map not picking up data point

I have a simple dataset with City, State, and Zip fields that I combined into one [Location] field. I am counting Events by this Location. A table visual (right) shows Pigeon Forge, TN has the highest number of events. But on the map, Alcoa, TN is the larget bubble, and Pigeon Forge is NOT EVEN SHOWN. I thought there might be something wrong with the data point, maybe the Zip Code did not line up with the city.

But a Bing search of 37863 shows a valid location.

2018-01-02_12-52-01.png2018-01-02_12-45-18.pngIt's like the Map Visual doesn't like the data point.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

The Event ID is set as a COUNT aggregation in both the table and the Map.

Funny, I just refreshed the report page and it looks to be showing correctly.

NOT a data issue as I have done nothing to the data between then and now.

View solution in original post

@v-ljerr-msft:

Yeah, well, I feel kind of funny marking my own response as the solution when all I did was wait one day and try it again.

I had opened and closed that same PBIX file with the map several time so it had ample attempts to re-generate the map visual and every time that one data point (and several others as well) were missing.

Solution: "Wait a day or two and it fixes itself" doesn't give me all that much confidence. 😕

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

The Event ID is set as a COUNT aggregation in both the table and the Map.

Funny, I just refreshed the report page and it looks to be showing correctly.

NOT a data issue as I have done nothing to the data between then and now.

Hi @ToddChitt,

Great to hear the problem got resolved! Could you accept your reply above as solution to close this thread? Smiley Happy

Regards

@v-ljerr-msft:

Yeah, well, I feel kind of funny marking my own response as the solution when all I did was wait one day and try it again.

I had opened and closed that same PBIX file with the map several time so it had ample attempts to re-generate the map visual and every time that one data point (and several others as well) were missing.

Solution: "Wait a day or two and it fixes itself" doesn't give me all that much confidence. 😕

@ToddChitt

Awesome. Glad it is working now!

ccakjcrx
Resolver I
Resolver I

@ToddChitt

Hey!

Happy New Year. 

I'm not sure if this will help, but I wanted to give it a shot. 

I see one large bubble on your map, and several other bubbles that appear to be the same size. I don't have access to your data, so I have to guess about some settings in your pbi desktop file (i.e., .pbix file). In your file, is your 'Event ID' values shown in your table visual a summation of a number of events in your model, or is 183 is an actual value under the 'Event ID' column on the 'Pigeon Forge' row?

I set up some test data on my side, and have some random patient names (generated on randomlists.com) for zip codes in South Carolina. I then created a map in pbi desktop using the five character zip code as the location and specified the patient name as the 'Size' field. I made sure pbi didn't summarize the zip codes; similarly, I set the size to count the patient names. Click HERE for my pbix file. 

In the event it may be a simple field setting for the map visualization, here is an image of my visuals and the map settings:

Screenshot.jpg

Hope this helps! If not, my apologies.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.