Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mstefancik
Advocate II
Advocate II

Map chart does not work in Desktop

Hi,

has anybody encountered issue with Map in Desktop?

I have created simple report, from Adventure works DB which is using Map visual.

Columns are properly added into visuals.

Everything I can see in report is:

Map visualMap visual

Once I publish it to powerbi service I can see map working well.

My question is, why cant I see map properly in Desktop with datapoints?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
quyen103
Frequent Visitor

Hi @mstefancik  !

I am facing the same exact issue that you have with the blank map visual. 

Did you ever get this resolved?  

Thank you!

Did anyone figure this out? Or at least confirm that a firewall blocking access to bing maps is the problem (even if you can get there from your browser)?

I had this same issue - but since the latest desktop update this is now working.

Version: 2.52.4921.682 64-bit (November 2017)

I had this same issue - but since the latest desktop update this is now working.

Version: 2.52.4921.682 64-bit (November 2017)

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mstefancik have you got data category properly defined for the fields you're using in map visual for example latitude and longitude for lat long fields. You can set them up by going through as shown in below image.

Capture.JPG

@ankitpatira sure I did, even If i would not have set not set it properly, then why I can see the map visual correctly in PowerBI service?

@mstefancik I'm assuming you are developing on a machine that has internet access? The maps require Bing, so if it doesn't you wouldn't see anything...(Outside guess) otherwise it looks like a bug...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer of course, from laptop joined into domain with an access to the internet.

@mstefancik Figured, doesn't hurt to ask. The only other thing I would mention is to make sure you are on the latest Desktop version, and if you still see the consistent error, file a bug or create a thread on the issue forum...or both.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Well, I am on the latest Desktop version, but it started to appear in previous versions, I hoped it will repair updating Desktop.

I also opened several reports which contain map visual and worked well and I can see the same behaviour in every report. Only blank space. Suppose I am gonna create new thread on issue.thx

@mstefancik Circle back if you get any updates, I'd be interested why it works in one and not the other. I have no issues with maps in mine, but I'm just using an address as location - very simple. The other thing you could do, if you have many fields is determine if one of them is breaking it. 

Actually this one is pretty simple, as it has got only one column State with one value Canada. Column is categorized as State. Another one province should work as well, but does not.

Hi!

I'm having the exact issue as you reported here.   I am connected to the internet, but none of my map visual in PowerBI Desktop work.  Once I published it to PowerBI.com then the map shows up. 

Have you gotten this issue resolved? 

I wonder if it's because of some firewall issue.... I know my workplace block cloud services.. I can connect to the internet but PowerBI Desktop does not render any map visual, including custom map visual such as Globemap.

Does anyone know if PowerBI map visual need some special port to be opened? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.