Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BobMcPen
Regular Visitor

Map Visualization doesn't work with Analysis Sevices??

(Moved from Developer Forum)

Hi everybody.

Looked around but didn't found a solution for this.

my scenario:

I have an SSAS cube with a Suppliers dimension. In it i have several fields to geo-reference the single supplier (Nation, Province, Town, Address and Post Code, plus a CompleteAddress which is the the concatenation in CSV format of previous fields)

This dimension is built on a regular table in SqlServer, with exactly same attributes, included the complete address.

In a report my customer asked me to show the supplier's location on a Map.

If i built the report upon the table in SqlServer (location = CompleteAddress) the map shows well.

The same, if i read the CompleteAddress from SSAS doesn't show on Map or is showned in a bad place (i.e. an Italian supplier showned in USA!!!!)

Note that if a copy/past the complete address in Bing Maps via browser the map show correct as well.... So not seems a bad formatted address.

I already forced the right category (i suppose) to completeAddress field via SSDT as specified in this thread: https://docs.microsoft.com/it-it/power-bi/power-bi-map-tips-and-tricks

Any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Roberto

2 REPLIES 2
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @BobMcPen,

First please check the Data Category option of this field at both SQL Server table and SSAS side in Power BI. Choose this filed -> Modeling -> Date Category and verify the difference.

8.PNG

And could you please share us some sample data if possible?

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Hi @v-xjiin-msft, thanks for reply and sorry for the delay: in Italy we had some vacations at the end of april...

I tried your suggestions: if i query SS table via PowerBI i can change Data Category and whith category 'Place' the map shows well:Immagine.png

while others categories fail. 

Then, via SSDT, i tryed several categories for that field, but in PowerBI always show 'uncategorized' (and i can't change it) and the map doesn't showes the location:

Immagine.png

Here where i set in SSDT the category:Immagine.png

Maybe i made any mistake? I deployed the cube each time after modify....

My enviroment:

SS 2016 with AS

PowerBI: 2.51.4885.543 64-bit (October 2017)

Visual Studio SSDT: Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services Designer Version 12.0.2430.0

Thanks again for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors