Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jeffclarke

Map Visualization Not Working

Power BI Map Issue2.PNG

Two days ago, this map displayed correctly when going through one of the tutorials.

Yesterday and today, I was trying to create a new doc using a map visualization from another tutorial and it would not work, then I tried using a more simple one with just country data in a Excel sheet, still no visualization map.

Then I exited everything, restarted and now my first map that worked previously, does not display.

I then starting Googling and searching here as to what setting may have changed and reading other posts here.

Conclusion, I'm at a loss as to what changed or if it's a Privacy issue, or Bing is being blocked somehow from our network - does anyone know what may be causing maps not to display?

Also, was trying to see where to check for updates, but don't see a menu option within Power BI Desktop ?

Thanks everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@jeffclarke,

First thing is to check whether you can access and use Bing map in IE.
https://www.bing.com/maps

I have tested it on my local environment, we can use use map visual without any issue. In your scenario, could you please try to updated your Power BI desktop to latest version and check if this issue persists or not. If the issue persists, please share your PBIX file, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

Map vizualization is not working for me either

I can access Bing.maps

Power BI Desktop version is 2.50

Ideas?

Thanks guys, sometimes the obvious is overlooked - for some reason it looks like recent upgrades on our internal network are now blocking Bing Maps,  we are investigating why. 

jeffclarke

I'm working on one of the Tutorials and am having trouble with the Map Visualization for STATE name.

The first tutorial I did worked fine and I have gone through the online tips as suggested in related posts, but this one doesn't want to recognize it properly...and yes I have already changed the Data Category to State or Province.

Tried to insert a screen shot but there is no upload function.

The source of the data is

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/retirement/best-places-retire-how-state-ranks.aspx

The Tutorial is at:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-getting-started/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.