Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

poweruser999
Frequent Visitor

Many to mAny relationship

Hi All,

Why doesn't power BI allow Many to Many relationships?

What happens in the background. Why cant we do it here when we can do the SAME thing in SQL SERVER. (As I am Assuming this when create a join it will create a sql on background.)

Please explain to me as I am a newbie.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The main reason is often people create these scenarios because they exist in the source system, so they blindly replicate the structures in the data modelling engine.

The primary purpose of a BI data model is to support reporting and analytics - and if you optimise your data structures for this scenario, you find you no longer need many-to-many relationships.  

A purist would only use a relationship for filtering and not for cross-table calculations.  Just don't be afraid of data duplication through multiple FACT tables 🙂

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PerrigoNVanLent
Frequent Visitor

I didn't see it listed in the feature summary (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-july-2018-feature-summary/), but it looks like the "Many to Many" option (when creating a table join) is now available in the July update.

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @poweruser999

Power BI does support it in a roundabout way.  Perhaps create an intermediary bridge table that includes the columns you would like to match up.

Does that make sense?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Yes I have seen many people create a unique value bridge and then joining it. 

I was just wondering why doesnt  it. I am under the assumption, that when ever we create a relationship, on the back end it creates a join like in sql and process it. If  this is the case Sql supports many to many why doesnt power BI.

Or Is my assumption that power bi creates a sql query on back end is wrong.

The main reason is often people create these scenarios because they exist in the source system, so they blindly replicate the structures in the data modelling engine.

The primary purpose of a BI data model is to support reporting and analytics - and if you optimise your data structures for this scenario, you find you no longer need many-to-many relationships.  

A purist would only use a relationship for filtering and not for cross-table calculations.  Just don't be afraid of data duplication through multiple FACT tables 🙂

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.