Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Managing a Master Dataset and Date Column Management

I have a master dataset of approximately 2.5MM rows.   

There are a number of columns that contain various date columnsrepresenting Start/End dates.  Not all these date columns apply to every row.

When there is a date field that is blank or N/A, upon import PowerBI defaults a date  of 12/30/1899.  I believe this is the way that PBI tries to handle a null value (or possibly a non-date data).

That being the case, I am looking for suggestion about how to have PBI  categorize the column as a date, but manage the null values where they do not apply.  When they do not apply, and are otherwise "blank" or N/A - the ideal solution would be that they are not populated.

All suggestions are welcome.

3 REPLIES 3
mow700
Resolver I
Resolver I

You may be able to use the "Replace Values" command in the "Transform" section of the "Home" ribbon of your query in edit mode to handle more complicated categorization.  Remember to select the column you want to handle to enable the command.

snip_20171010154420.png

Replace values won't work, as it is looking to preserve the date format and requires the replacement to be a legitimate date.

What is the specified data type for this column in the query?  I just created a simple manual table with a data sample, and I'm not seeing the default behavior you mentioned.  When my source data is NULL, weather I specify Date or Text data type, NULLS persist and are not replaced with 12/30/1899 as you described:

snip_20171017130855.png

snip_20171017130956.png

When I verify the results in my model, I see the same:

snip_20171017131232.png

snip_20171017131325.png

Where are you seeing the default 12/30/1899 values?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.