Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Managing Cost Relationships

Hi Power Bi Users,

I have ran into a barrier learning Relationships. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be extremely helpful.

I'll try and picture my Data for you as best i can, but simply put, Right now I have 2 sources with a specific cost column in each table. Each Table is a Metric (lets say, "Scrap" and "Freight"). Both tables have a Cost that varies in each data point displayed from, lets say, the last year.

Displaying certain relationships between both tables was easy enough, using a Material Matrix, but now my Project Leader wants a Total Cost to be able to sort in the Pareto i have created. A cost relationship cannot be created since there are no unique values with these costs.

I feel like the solution is simple enough to where i am just overlooking it.

These sources need to stay separate as much as possible for automation (rolling/updated data), optimization, and simplicity.

I apologize if my imaging is not clear enough. If you can help and need more info or attachments i will post them up.

-Fonz

3 REPLIES 3
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Create a dimension table with unique ID's for the costs then add a relationship between this new table and the other two this will give you the final relationship between both of them and allow you to make calculation on those items.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @MFelix

I think i tried this by appending a new Query from the two Cost Columns, removing duplicates, and then connecting the relationships. Is that your suggestion? How would this automate correctlhy if i was to roll or update my source data?

Or is there another way you are suggesting to create this type of relationship table? Apologies, i am still a beginner with Data alignment.

Look forward to your reply. Ty.

Hi @Anonymous,

If your  new query is updated at the same time as the other two this should work when you update you source data.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.