Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Johanna
Regular Visitor

MTD Comparison to same period last year

I have sales data from 1st of Jan 2016 until 4th of June 2017.

I would like compare the total sales of first 4 days in June 2017 to same period in 2016, but I always get as comparison the whole month of June from 2016. It should also run as MTD comparison, when I update more sales data for June 2017.

Is there a way to compare only those 4 days from each year?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Johanna

You can just create a MTD LY measure and use SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR() in CALCULATE().

MTD LY = CALCULATE(TOTALMTD(SUM('Calendar'[Amount]),'Calendar'[Date]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendar'[Date])) 

12.PNG

23.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Johanna

You can just create a MTD LY measure and use SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR() in CALCULATE().

MTD LY = CALCULATE(TOTALMTD(SUM('Calendar'[Amount]),'Calendar'[Date]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendar'[Date])) 

12.PNG

23.PNG

Regards,

I used DX formula as 

Previous period = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[Extended]), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Sheet1[Rev Rec Month]), ALL(Sheet1))

But it is showing up only for year breakup but when i try doing it for client wise...same value is getting refelcted for other clients as well

test.jpg
I want the exact preious year same period revenue over der. please advice.......

I´m also trying to get the same anwer using the formula, but no luck so far.

VENTAS MTD = CALCULATE(TOTALMTD(SUM(RUADETALLE[CANTIDAD]);Calendario[Date];SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Calendario[Date])))

I get empty cells.

Hope someone can help me.

Thank you,

Hi,

Below formula worked for me.

Output is Revenue for same period last year calculated until same date of current period.

Revenue SPLY MTD = TOTALMTD(SUM('FactTable'[Revenue]), DATEADD(FILTER(DATESMTD('Calendar'[DateID]), 'Calendar'[DateID]<TODAY()), -1,YEAR))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, How does this formula work when the date column has multiple time values in it? How can we exclude duplicates caused by the time factor?

The formula works against the calendar table which won't have duplicate dates in the date column.

This is not working when I used it, how to calculate at prodcut level then sku level ..then MTD then MTD last year( MTD = 1 to 12 July for current and for last year).. any suggestion..

It's working fine when i am using Datesbetween using static dates but i need to convert it dynamically

@VijayReddy wrote:

Hi,

Below formula worked for me.

Output is Revenue for same period last year calculated until same date of current period.

Revenue SPLY MTD = TOTALMTD(SUM('FactTable'[Revenue]), DATEADD(FILTER(DATESMTD('Calendar'[DateID]), 'Calendar'[DateID]<TODAY()), -1,YEAR))

This article will walk you through how to fix the problem you are having.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/hiding-future-dates-for-calculations-in-dax/

It shows how to use filtering on a special column you add to your date table to stop calculations from going past the point where you have current data.

PY MTD Limited = 
CALCULATE(
    [MTD amount],
    CALCULATETABLE(
        SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Dates[Date]),
        Dates[Is Past] = TRUE
    )
)

mtd limited.jpg

I used DX formula as 

Previous period = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[Extended]), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Sheet1[Rev Rec Month]), ALL(Sheet1))

But it is showing up only for year breakup but when i try doing it for client wise...same value is getting refelcted for other clients as well

test.jpg
I want the exact preious year same period revenue over der. please advice.

I also used this code and it is not returning any values for last year MTD. I am sure we do have data for last year. However, no errors in the formula.  

sokg
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

On your date table you must create the following measures:

BeginCurrentYear = DATE(YEAR(TODAY());1;1)

BeginPreviousYear = DATE(YEAR(TODAY())-1;1;1)

SameDay = TODAY()

SameDayPreviousYear = DATE(YEAR(dCalendar[SameDay])-1;MONTH(dCalendar[SameDay]);DAY(dCalendar[SameDay]))

and then, this calculated column

CurrentPreviousYearToDate = IF(AND(dCalendar[BeginCurrentYear]<=dCalendar[Date];dCalendar[Date]<=dCalendar[SameDay]);"1";IF(AND(dCalendar[BeginPreviousYear]<=dCalendar[Date];dCalendar[Date]<=dCalendar[SameDayPreviousYear]);"0"))

so your measures for MTD are

Sales MTD = CALCULATE(TOTALMTD([Sales];DATESMTD(dCalendar[Date]));dCalendar[Month No]=MONTH(TODAY());dCalendar[Year]=YEAR(TODAY()))

and

Sales PYMTD = CALCULATE([Sales];DATEADD(DATESMTD(dCalendar[Date]);-1;YEAR);dCalendar[Month No]=MONTH(TODAY());dCalendar[Year]=YEAR(TODAY())-1;dCalendar[CurrentPreviousYearToDate]="0")

Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked perfectly, it is just what i was looking for!

Thank you! Robot Happy

Ylli
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the code about MTD Comparison. It is very helpfull.

I am testing your code, and evrything looks fine, but i am not getting the sales for PYMTD.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.