Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shiner1
Frequent Visitor

Line and stacked column chart

I'm trying to show year over year changes per month for shipments. When I select the same month for multiple years instead of showing the months side by side it totals into one month. Such as September 2016-September 2017. This happens when I start adding months from 2016 already selected for 2017 in the graph. Does anyone know how to fix this? 

Capture.JPG

Here is the same data in Excel when you graph tbe shipments, the first month starts September 2016-September 2017 at the end. Why doesn't power bi know to seperate out the months when you have multiple years worth of data?

Capture2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@shiner1

Power BI chart visual only takes the category field you put on X-axis to aggregate the data. In this scenario, you have a Month Name column in your source table, Power BI can't detect the calendar based on this text column. I suggest you create a "Year-Month" column in your source table, and build a hierarchy like "Year->Year-Month". Then put the hierarchy into the chart and drill all level down to one.

Regards,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@shiner1

Power BI chart visual only takes the category field you put on X-axis to aggregate the data. In this scenario, you have a Month Name column in your source table, Power BI can't detect the calendar based on this text column. I suggest you create a "Year-Month" column in your source table, and build a hierarchy like "Year->Year-Month". Then put the hierarchy into the chart and drill all level down to one.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.