Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dax_bee
Frequent Visitor

Line and Clustered Column Chart

Hi.

I am currently using the Line and Cluster Column chart within one of my reports (see below). Ideally I want the Line element of this chart to show discrete values only and not a continous line.

For each grouping in the chart (can  be seen by the green/black/red bars) on the second Y-axis I want to plot a discrete value so effectivly only one plot per grouping.  This chart joins the discrete points into a line.

I aprreciate that this chart is designed to work this way, does anyone know of any other available visuals which would allow me to do what I want?

Line and Clustered Column Chart.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dax_bee,

>>For each grouping in the chart (can  be seen by the green/black/red bars) on the second Y-axis I want to plot a discrete value so effectivly only one plot per grouping.  This chart joins the discrete points into a line.

Did you want to switch the same color bar to one group, right?

If this is a case, you can try to exchange the Shared axis and Column series fields of "line and clustered column chart".

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin

Ideally I am looking for a chart which will generate the following.  The line being replaced by discrete points (in this example triangles)

Line and Clustered Column Chart Ideal.jpg

Hi @dax_bee,

>> The line being replaced by discrete points (in this example triangles)

I think the issue may related to your formula which store on the line value, it not appeared on my side.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin.

There may be a little confusion here.  Ideally I am looking for a chart which displays both Chart & discrete points (not line).  If as per your comments you feel you have an example of this please post an image.

Thanks.

Hi @dax_bee,

Sure, below is my sample file:

Source table:

Table = ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(DATE(2016,1,1),DATE(2016,12,31)),"Month",FORMAT([Date],"mmmm"),"Day",FORMAT([Date],"dddd"),"Amount",RANDBETWEEN(0,100))

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Notice: I add the filter to filter first three months, the line value is the average of amount.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hi Xiaoxin.

Appreciate the update, but as per my previous comments the requirement is a bar chart + discrete points on a seperate Y-axis.  Your solution is currently acheivable with the out of the box "Bar & Line chart".

If you re-read the thread this may provide you with greater clarity as to the issue I have.

Thanks.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not aware of one. You will probably have to do some kind of R visual to get what you want.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.