Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Trayfen
Frequent Visitor

KPI Visual (Blank) on date span using .[Date]

I was trying to use the KPI visual of a moving average measure, over a series of dates ( non-unique, so there are many duplicate dates).  I was having a bizarre problem with the dates that came from Salesforce Objects as they are date/time/timezone format, however, their type could not be changed simply to date.  I would get an error mentioning that I cannot aggregate data using a limit funtion.  So I just duplicated the column in the query with a custom column and then changed the type and things worked.  However, if I used .[Date], hierarchy type, it would say my moving average measure was (Blank) in the KPI visual.  I checked the dates using a table tile and it was showing dates in the future, yet when I look at the data directly there were no future dates.  This is historical data so there should be no future dates.  Yet after hours of fumbling around, I discovered that removing the .[Date] from the end of my dates column, the problem was corrected.  I thought .[Date] only collected the date (for example if it was a DateTime, then only output the date). However it appears to rather have a different purpose, more functionality than returning the date, or it has a bug.  My problem is solved, but just wanted to bring this up in case it causes problems for someone else as well.  If someone wiser than I know what is happening, by all means, let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Trayfen
Frequent Visitor

I take back my previous post.  I misunderstood what .[Date] did.  If your date column has missing dates, .[Date] will create a complete date list filling in all the dates that were missing. Thank you.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Trayfen
Frequent Visitor

I take back my previous post.  I misunderstood what .[Date] did.  If your date column has missing dates, .[Date] will create a complete date list filling in all the dates that were missing. Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.