Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

a_mixed_life
Resolver I
Resolver I

Issue with Publishing PBIX File

This issue just started for me this week Monday.

I've been unable to publish my pbix data set getting an error:

Unexpected Error - Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

I've read other's suggestions here and below are the steps I've taken.

* Original PBIX file was about 80MB

* Redo on the query and narrowed it down to 40MB

- Attempted to publish and still failed, directly from the PowerBI Desktop and Web import.

Another attempt:

* Deleted the original dataset from the web and all reports corresponding

* ran the PBIX query and saved it with a different name

- Attempted to publish and still failed, directly from the PowerBI Desktop and Web import.

I'm kind of lost on the next steps. I've already sent the "Frown" to the PowerBI team and no new updates.Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 2.44.12 PM.png

Kris
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
skasper
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @a_mixed_life,

I had a similar issue yesterday and tried several things including the 'new file' -> 'publish' approach to no avail.

Today I published my original file but NOT to a group workspace but to 'My Workspace'. This worked without problems as it was the first time I did that (so no update of the dataset).

However, after this, I published the same file to the group workspace and this time the update did work.

I have no way of knowing, whether this was a coincidence or actually related to the interim publishing to My Workspace, but perhaps you want to give it a try.

Best,

Sascha

Best - Sascha
Please always mark accepted solutions. It helps others with similar questions or problems. Thank you.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
seanbsongwriter

@Anonymous I attempted your suggestion and i received a 'Failed to Publish' error.

@seanbsongwriter wrote:

@Anonymous I attempted your suggestion and i received a 'Failed to Publish' error.

The only way that I got to fix it was to using a VPN (I'm using Windscribe Client). For some reason, my IP was unable to publish, but using windscribe I've got success. I recommend you to try it

PS: After one month, I'm publishing without windscribe, it seems the things back to normal

gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

Hi,

I have recently switched laptops and now on the new laptop I am getting this error and can no longer publish any pbix files. Initially this was only intermittent on the new laptop but now it's all pbix files all of the time. None of them will now publish. I can still publish from the old laptop.

I even rolled back my power bi version to the same version of my old laptop and that doesn't fix it.

I have tried the workarounds mentioned in this thread but no joy. Anyone having this problem still?

Thanks

Anyone with this problem too?

I'm also having this issue.  I've tried all of the suggestions above but none worked.  I've created and published many dashboards previously with no issues.  The file is about 235MB but i have coworkers with even larger files and have no issues publishing.  Any other suggestions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@seanbsongwriter Have you tried the pull method, that is, importing the file into the Cloud (pull) instead of publishing it from PBI Desktop (push)?
Puling PBIX into Cloud - 1Puling PBIX into Cloud - 1Puling PBIX into Cloud - 2Puling PBIX into Cloud - 2

Hi There ,

I am not able to see the "Get Data" icon mentioned above in the screen shots - Is any settings change required here to  enable this ?

You're running the latest build right?

Kris
skasper
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @a_mixed_life,

I had a similar issue yesterday and tried several things including the 'new file' -> 'publish' approach to no avail.

Today I published my original file but NOT to a group workspace but to 'My Workspace'. This worked without problems as it was the first time I did that (so no update of the dataset).

However, after this, I published the same file to the group workspace and this time the update did work.

I have no way of knowing, whether this was a coincidence or actually related to the interim publishing to My Workspace, but perhaps you want to give it a try.

Best,

Sascha

Best - Sascha
Please always mark accepted solutions. It helps others with similar questions or problems. Thank you.

Faced same issue today and this worked for me, thanks!

This actually worked! Thanks! I kept holding off on the update and since you mentioned this had fixed it for you, there was no choice but to update.

My work around can now be buried.

Kris

Thanks for replying back to this. I've been doing a work around on this.

I'll give this a try tomorrow to see if it'll work and I'll report back.

Kris
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys, 

I had a similar issue some time back. I had to delete the dataset, logged out of every single itnerface and then it published without any qualms. Unsure what exactly went wrong but, yeah that's what made it work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Kaz

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi Kris, 

How about you create a fresh new .pbix file and then publish it?

Please also go to File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Diagnostics and click "enable tracing". Then publish the "Sales Dashboard.pbix" file and have a check on the logs in the traces folder. Please post here any error message logs you found useful. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.