Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is It possible to Change the Map Image in the Filled Map Visualization to something less Busy?

Sometimes it is hard to see the data aginst the Map

5 REPLIES 5
solomonrobert24

When trying to plot the Lat and Long into the map provided by Power BI, the values plotted on the map is incorrect.

I tried checking the same using the google map with the same Lat and Long. I get the exact location.  All my values are getting wrongly displayed in the map.  

For example: 

Lat: 23-48-49.00 S

Long: 046-19-00 W

Please help me in fixing this issue. Want to understand if the Lat and Long format used by me is incorrect or is this an existing issue with the default map used.

MarcusHussey
Frequent Visitor

I believe what you are looking for is the Custom Map option which lets you import a JSON Map File.  This Map File will only show the outline of the area of interest without the backgrounds.  I have not tried to import a file of this type yet, but have seen many posts in here describing how to do it and some of the issues to look out for when attempting it.

-Marcus

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Power BI integrates with Bing to provide default map coordinates (a process called geo-coding) so it's easier for us to create maps. The map image in the filled map is Bing map, we are not able to change it. You can image if the Bing map is not accurate or missing, how can we plot the location.

In your scenario, I would suggest you zoom in or zoom out to view the data. Also you can hover the cursor on the shading, then the tooltips will display to show the detail data.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I understand the geoCoding and the fact that this is Bing Maps

But Bing Maps itself does allow me to change from Road to aerial to Birdseye

This is not what I am Looking for however Something that would allow the Vusual elemenst of the Dashboad to satn out abounst a more subdued background. tehre are very few BI scenarios taht woudl require me to see every road etc on a map. Also the Colrring of tehe map interfeers  with the color coading of the visal elemnst making interpretaion difficult.

For BI a map with MAJOR Towns and Geographiv Features would prably surfice. And One that is Mono or Gray scale  would be better, The Old Powerveiw View map allow you to select  at least three different Maps incluind a Satelite and reverse image

the Visual In Map is for the large part what Tufte would clasify as Chart Junk. there are real scenarios that the mapping features supports, but the graphic most times is getting in the way, minimal is the way to visual excellence

Hi @daverpitts,

From your description, it's hard to understand what you want. Would you please share some images to clarify the requirement?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.